A&H

Where to Stand ??

ByronCoach

Afternoon all..

Now this is a strange one and sorry if not in the right forum (if it's not can a Mod move please)

U12's game pitch is all cornered off with a metal barrier

A parent is standing behind the goal , not a coach just a pushy parent shall we say.. and he is offering instructions to his daughter who is playing CB
The opposing manager does not like this and wants him moved from behind the goal and asks the ref to do so..

Now he is not on the pitch and is behind a barrier .. Can he be removed from the position behind the goal ???

The Referee Store
If he's behind the goal, not on the field of play nor the technical areas but is standing behind a barrier/cordon as set up by the home team, there's no problem.

Look at the professional games, spectators are yards away from the goals/pitch :)

This is the reply I offered but the opposing teams manager has said he will report his daughters team at the next league meeting..

Told him I felt they had no leg to stand on...

It is part of the RESPECT guidelines that coaches are on one touchline and spectators on the other.

I would've requested the parents manager to move the parent to the correct place.

Not to mention the aspect of a parent coaching the player.....

Just bare in mind that the Respect campaign is not law; the parent is more than entitled to stand behind a barrier as a spectator, regardless of where it is. BUT, it is etiquette that they comply with the Respect Campaign. They would have been told about it when their child joined the club (at least you'd like to think so).

Just bare in mind that the Respect campaign is not law; the parent is more than entitled to stand behind a barrier as a spectator, regardless of where it is. BUT, it is etiquette that they comply with the Respect Campaign. They would have been told about it when their child joined the club (at least you'd like to think so).

And if they are causing a problem, which clearly they were, they should be put back where they belong.

Guaranteed that parent goes and stands behind the goal at every game regardless of whether there is a barrier or not.

This is the reason that the RESPECT campaign has not achieved all that it should have done....too many people, referees included, can't be bothered to either follow the guidelines or enforce them where necessary.

The respect campaign has not achieved all that it should have done because of the utter disregard they have for it at the top level. It filters all the way down the pyramid I'm afraid :/ That's my opinion anyway.

@Padfoot is totally correct. Whichever side of the pitch the coaches choose as their technical area, the other side then becomes the spectators respect line. Under no circumstances are parents or even coaches allowed to stand behind goals giving instructions.

Under no circumstances are parents or even coaches allowed to stand behind goals giving instructions

Where's that laid down?

The document that parents see and are requested to comply with can be seen here http://www.thefa.com/my-football/football-volunteers/helpforparents/respect/~/media/DD0D607A217C412FBAEF5A9126585B5A.ashx/432 RespectCodesSpectatorsPntsCrs.pdf

It says that parents must:
  • Remain outside the field of play and within the Designated Spectators’ Area (where provided)

It says nothing about being at the opposite touchline nor not coaching their players. You are getting this mixed up with etiquette.

Last edited:
We have it laid down in 'common knowledge' at the Shropshire FA, but yes I guess it's up to the individual ref to stick to his/her guns that the respect barrier is there for a reason and will be followed. I do. I will never allow anyone to be behind the goals.

"I'm sorry referee, why are you telling me that I can't stand behind the goal, behind a barrier used to restrict supporters access to the field of play"?

"Well Mr Parent, it's common knowledge"...

It doesn't stick. I'm not trying to be a douchebag but anything you do as a referee has to be in accordance with the LOTG, not common sense nor "common knowledge". You can't make the laws up as you go. Whilst you rightfully state the Respect Campaign, you have to understand that these are a matter of compliance, they're not mandatory. Coaches, players, spectators etc are expected to comply with the guidelines, but as I say, ultimately there's nothing you can do should they choose not too.

Just also noting that parents are advised to stand behind the respect barriers as you've again correctly stated... If these barriers begins the goals are respect barriers, then they are doing what the guidelines suggest they do.

Last edited:
I went over my local park with my dog today and needed up watching a youth game for a bit. I was standing behind the goal. If someone had told me to move, I would have reminded them I was in a public park.

Not sure if talking to your own kids (I.e shouting instructions/encouragement) makes any difference, but not really sure what it's got to do with the ref. I understand the respect barriers etc., and the referee should ask people to stand behind them, but it's not the refs job to reinforce it.

Just let the kids play football

Reactions: DB
If he wants to coach his daughter he should be in the technical area if suitably accredited. If he's not, then he should be with the rest of the spectators on the opposite side of the field from the technical areas. No, it isn't law but breaches of Respect can be reported and if the response from the parent, when asked politely to move, is inappropriate he may be subject to a disciplinary report resulting in a fine for the club. Repeated offences, reports and fines may result in the loss of Charter Standard Status. If the league the club plays in is a Chartered Standard League, then the club could be kicked out of the league.

Now is all as important as a dad wanting to stand near the goals in contravention of guidelines?

Regarding the comments about failure of Respect campaign/programme because of a lack of application at the top of the game, they don't referee on your field, they don't manage the players within your white lines. Do your job on your field, enforce the Respect campaign/programme on your field and don't worry about anyone else. If you don't, then don't offer excuses.

I went over my local park with my dog today and needed up watching a youth game for a bit. I was standing behind the goal. If someone had told me to move, I would have reminded them I was in a public park.

Not sure if talking to your own kids (I.e shouting instructions/encouragement) makes any difference, but not really sure what it's got to do with the ref. I understand the respect barriers etc., and the referee should ask people to stand behind them, but it's not the refs job to reinforce it.

Just let the kids play football
And when the parent can't resist the temptation to stop the ball entering the goal or the other club's coach gets so worked up that HE breaches Respect, whose fault is it? The referee for not taking action and enforcing the programme or the parent who is just being bloody minded?

I think you're missing my point guys on whether it's a chap walking his dog just watching a neutral match, strolling by and a parent standing there shouting instructions. I've had a similar situation where an 11 year old keeper's concentration was clearly being obstructed by the opposing centre forwards dad screaming instructions. I asked him politely just to stand where all the other parents were. He duly obliged. If it had have been an open age game no I wouldn't say a word but with juniors adults sometimes forget they are just kids, and I'm afraid I will always put my neck on the line to protect any kid from feeling uneasy.

I think you're missing my point guys on whether it's a chap walking his dog just watching a neutral match, strolling by and a parent standing there shouting instructions. I've had a similar situation where an 11 year old keeper's concentration was clearly being obstructed by the opposing centre forwards dad screaming instructions. I asked him politely just to stand where all the other parents were. He duly obliged. If it had have been an open age game no I wouldn't say a word but with juniors adults sometimes forget they are just kids, and I'm afraid I will always put my neck on the line to protect any kid from feeling uneasy.
Same action re open age. More temptation to intervene for an adult in an adult's game

The point I am making is referees hold absolutely no authority in this scenario. Brian rightfully states the procedures that can be followed in terms of reporting the breaches of the respect campaign but the compliance of it has nothing to do with us. Obviously if there is anything you can do, then I'm sure you will BUT you have to be aware that as referees, you can't take any action or remove anyone from where they want to stand, unless of course the landowner is present to ask them to leave, but I highly doubt that.

Common sense would prevail hopefully and you will have a word with whoever you need to if you feel the need for it, but you can't approach it as if it is in the law books as you dont have any authority to back it up with. As I said in a previous post, if you ask someone to move and they say no, then that's the end of it :/

I referee youth games quite often, I've been there and I know exactly what you are talking about, I'm just being a realist with my posts in terms of our authority and the lengths we can go to to keep everyone happy and the game flowing.

@DB I understand where you're coming from, but I do feel that any County FA would back a referee 100% on his/her decision to ask a spectator to retreat to the respect barrier if they felt a child was being intimdated by their presence.

The point I am making is referees hold absolutely no authority in this scenario. Brian rightfully states the procedures that can be followed in terms of reporting the breaches of the respect campaign but the compliance of it has nothing to do with us. Obviously if there is anything you can do, then I'm sure you will BUT you have to be aware that as referees, you can't take any action or remove anyone from where they want to stand, unless of course the landowner is present to ask them to leave, but I highly doubt that.

Common sense would prevail hopefully and you will have a word with whoever you need to if you feel the need for it, but you can't approach it as if it is in the law books as you dont have any authority to back it up with. As I said in a previous post, if you ask someone to move and they say no, then that's the end of it :/

I referee youth games quite often, I've been there and I know exactly what you are talking about, I'm just being a realist with my posts in terms of our authority and the lengths we can go to to keep everyone happy and the game flowing.
Wrong. The referee does have authority. The referee has authority over his field and the immediate vicinity around it. If you choose not to exercise that authority, then you can't complain when people challenge your authority in other ways. If you're not part of the solution you are part of the problem. You are LWR who makes my life and all the referees I train, mentor, assess and coach much more difficult.

Back