A&H

Where to put the bag?

Good morning Tino best
Hmm hard to say that the ref does not care.. in the past I have allo
I'm only passing on advice I got from an observer - although in this case, I do think he had a point!
wed a youth/youth's to wear a hoodie, I managed the situation same as the players equipment.. no problems. One off situation though.
I was asked if I could cover 2 youth matches before 06.00am one Sunday morning. Both county cup matches the 1 st on at 09.00am. 2nd one at 11.00am. I'm at work.. no kit, equipment etc..informed my colleague in that county, my instructions are the following...tell the four teams please.. I have no kit or a uniform but happy to step up and step in and cover those 2 matches, tell them please have tea, toast and a 1 bannana ready for me as im finishing work night shift, water and fruit for half time intervals. Red and yellow cards for those matches were coloured card I cut up at work, a whistle brand new came from the home coach, a coin, pen and paper I have, trainers im wearing..off I went and not only refereed those 2 county cup matches matches but done 2 more league cup matches after that as well, All youth games.
I typed all match reports for now 4 games.. mentioning i came off a night shift, no referees uniform let alone kit etc when I got home, sent the reports off, fell asleep at 16.00pm that day and woke up at 13.00pm on Monday.. got a message to say thank you from county and 2 leagues, my marks were 100/100 for all 4 matches...
So the point is regardless of your level or type of Football you officiate in or how you might be appointed, when you observe other refs don't judge until you speak to the ref/refs first... look at me on that Sunday morning yes I have a uniform wrong one though but based on my performances the club's and spectators knew I was a trained referee....
1. Remember Referees are the heart of Football...
2. Attitude.how you approach and deal with things.. me no referees uniform or kit etc but compromised and managed..
3. Nil complaints from any where, as the appointments were unplanned.
4. Depended on public transport to get there.
5. Done my colleagues all across football that day proud I hope..and walked away after match no.4 very slowly due to sheer exhaustion reflecting awesome job.....lol

The Referee Store
It really depends on the ground. In fenced fields, I leave it on the opposite side of the benches but if not fenced between the two teams. Just behind the centre flag if there is one but no further than 1.5 meters away from the touchline.

A piece of advice, no matter where you put it, make sure you close all the zips. I have seen too may junior referees complaining about items missing in their bag after leaving the zipper open. Many people can't help themselves when you present them with an easy opportunistic moment. Taking the whole bag is too obvious. So is opening the zipper and looking for items but a quick grab of an item can easily go unnoticed.

I put mine between the teams but I also make a point of grabbing my drink from it and walking out of earshot straight away at half time.

I like to do keepy-uppies in the centre circle during half time, mostly to show off.

Back