A&H

When to wear different coloured shirt?

Mada

My wife suggested I bought another ref shirt as it's difficult to wash and dry the shirt on a Saturday if I have another game Sunday. I therefore decided to buy the red/yellow Nike shirts.

If you are part of a team of three then everyone should wear the same colour which 99.9% will be black. It occurred to me that there could be a league rule that dictates the colour of shirt the ref wears. I'd also say that 99% of refs I have seen wear all black too. I can't find anything mentioned within one of the league handbooks but it's possible I missed it.

Does that mean I can make the choice myself based on the colours being worn of the opposing teams? i.e. if one team is wearing white and another dark blue it's appropriate for me to wear the red shirt.

I may have got a bit ahead of myself :D

The Referee Store
First of all your County has to have sanctioned another colour to black.
Some dictated. Some gave a choice.
Following that the league rules should have something in about colour of shirt. Normally forbids clubs to have black or dark. I think their might be a section on club colours.
Then you are free to work within those confines and so long as you don't clash with home and away players. Don't forget keepers too.
The default colour is black. So in a team of three you'll probably need to have black available.
What County are you in? Potentially another member could give some more county specific info

Essex FA have sanctioned the use of the bright green alternative colour for grassroots football. This happened last year. But I also think that some League rules have something about alternative colours as well.

Essex FA have sanctioned the use of the bright green alternative colour for grassroots football. This happened last year. But I also think that some League rules have something about alternative colours as well.

I'm in Essex too. Just to confirm you are referring to the "volt" colour? https://referee-equipment.co.uk/product/new-nike-2018-referee-shirt-short-sleeved/

I picked a brand new one off eBay very cheaply. The red one was also a bargain so not worried if I can't use it all the time but it would be great to clarify what is/isn't acceptable.

Here is the official news item from Essex FA web site:

http://www.essexfa.com/news/2018/oct/25/alternative-referee-shirt-colours

I'm a bit out of date, it seems you can use *any* alternative colour for most matches, however, Volt is the only alternative allowed for

"When officiating in competitions with neutral assistant referees i.e. Premier Divisions within Essex and Suffolk Border League, The Prokit UK Essex Olympian Football League and Essex County Cup Competitions ALL officials must be in the same colour either Black or GREEN (now known as Volt) otherwise they MUST all revert to wearing black"

Here is the official news item from Essex FA web site:

http://www.essexfa.com/news/2018/oct/25/alternative-referee-shirt-colours

I'm a bit out of date, it seems you can use *any* alternative colour for most matches, however, Volt is the only alternative allowed for

"When officiating in competitions with neutral assistant referees i.e. Premier Divisions within Essex and Suffolk Border League, The Prokit UK Essex Olympian Football League and Essex County Cup Competitions ALL officials must be in the same colour either Black or GREEN (now known as Volt) otherwise they MUST all revert to wearing black"

Thank you, this is spot on. So my understanding of this is check the league handbook, if nothing is mentioned then any colour is permitted. For certain levels when 3 officials are working together, black or volt is acceptable but everyone must be wearing the same colour.

Derbyshire FA require black shirt, I queried it once as I had a yellow shirt I'd bought but never really intended to use unless one of the teams had a black kit.

I only queried it when my thinking actually happened, and I wore the yellow shirt, thought it was best in the circumstances (grassroots).

No one complained, but I reported the team.

That was the game the same team also didn't have a manager present, and I sent 2 players off, no team sheet until a few minutes before ko and they had to borrow one from the opposition.

Just a shambles.

A team known for it, though.

Back