A&H

When to end play

Ben Johns

Level 9 Referee
I had a school game today and I ended the game after the ball went out of play for a corner. The game was 30 mins per half, and it was about 33 mins gone in the second half and there was only 1 minute of stoppage/injury time to play. After the that the ball stayed in, and in position of team 'A' so I decided to give them the final attack etc. They were losing 2-1 however that was not the point (to let them score). So when the ball finally went out I blew for full time. Their manager came on demanding that they take the corner and that it was against the 'rules' that I should blow whilst they were 'on the attack'. I explained I had already given them more time than I should of. Who was right? Me or the manager?

The Referee Store
You were right not to let them take the corner. It sounds like you let play continue for quite a while after it should have finished. Try and finish it on the second that it should unless the attacking team has an obvious chance.

just don't blow it at this point :)

...and never tell a manager that you had already given them more time than you should of (sic)

Time is up when you decide its up. Manager is, as is often the case, talking out of his backside

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics but, imho, time is up when the referee blows his whistle and not 'when time is up'

there are so many variables that determine the point at which a half or a match should finish that a few seconds either way should always be at the referee's discretion.

the watch is a tool of the referee and not the other way round

Manager is off his hoop! Time is up when you blow your whistle

As said above countless times, play is up when you decide it is up. However, I was wondering if there was any need to play 4 minutes of stoppage time in the fist place? Especially if a team is trailing 2-1, you can cover your own backside by simply playing the half an hour that should be played. This may not be the case if there was genuinely a four minute injury, but apart from that there's no point stopping the watch for roll on/roll off subs, shoelace tying etc in my opinion.

If you are in a match where there is no scoreboard with a timer and somebody hasn't asked you how long to go within the last few minutes, you can blow whenever you want around the time of the end of the half. No one else is timing!

Thanks for the support! In regard to the 4 minutes added time, the extra time should have been around 3 minutes for two injuries and millions of rolling subs and in the fourth extra minute the attack from the team with the mouthy manager was build-up an attack and every time I tried to blow they played a killer pass but nothing came of it eventually they shot and the goalkeeper parried it. It was a while ago and I was young and not very confident.

They always moan when the whistle goes and they are on the attack but would be the first to complain if they were defending and and goal was scored against them and then you blew the whistle to end the game.:cry:

You did well Ben, corner kicks don't have the same conditions attached like a penalty kick.

I think someone rightly mentioned that you need not 'tell' anyone if you've run the clock on anyway, and I do remember the above video (Clive 'Thomas the Book') actually happening, I'm told it cost him the World Cup Final!

Similar thing happened to me. Time was up when the goalie had to do a long trek for the ball. No way was I going to blow until he kicked it and as soon as the ball left the penalty area I blew for full time. No way was anyone going to score from it.

personally i would of blown as soon As the 1 minute injury time was up, unless there is a goal scoring oopportunity. If you hang of from previous experiences it causes massive uproar. so from now on i blow as soon as injury time is up unless a team is through on goal.

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics but, imho, time is up when the referee blows his whistle and not 'when time is up'

there are so many variables that determine the point at which a half or a match should finish that a few seconds either way should always be at the referee's discretion.

the watch is a tool of the referee and not the other way round

It isn't a matter of semantics. You, as the referee, can add any amount of time you like including to allow an attacking movement to progress. That said, you are not under any obligation to do so either. Ultimately, neither the clock nor the play are the deciding factors: it is up to you to weigh the options and decide.

As others have said, it's completely upto you... remember, you are "the sole timekeeper".

That being said, end when it's due to end. The manager is talking rubbish, only time the rules state a referee can not end the match is if there is a penalty kick to be taken. :)

Back