A&H

When Saturday Comes? Are you refereeing or in the terraces

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd tier U20 line. All good until, at a free kick, one of the wall put their arm over their face and blocked the ball. Seen by everyone, big shouts, waved away by the ref who then had a running argument with a couple of players - that went on a while, involved a coach and carried on after the game. Ref dug himself a big hole by saying protecting your face is allowed in law, while one player said repeatedly that it isn't. Torture to watch. All could have been avoided if the ref had given the wall - any wall - instructions in this game. I've learnt to tell adults and over 16s: hands over your families or chest is OK, over your face is not. This game was nearly a disaster for omitting that.
the player possible didnt fancy a trip to the dentist with a mouthfull of broken teeth

The Referee Store
Ouch, well at least there's something to learn from watching games when other referees lose control at some point. Never a nice thing to see, but a learning experience all the same.

Did he acknowledge the issue in the changing room post-match?
Yes and no. Will need the dust to settle.

Pre-season friendly for me, not much in itself but something of a milestone nonetheless being the first 11-a-side game I've refereed in nearly 18 months.

The injury absence is showing a little, so I know I've made the right decision is asking the appointing officers to put me on the lower level games for a month or so (no Step 5/6 reserve matches for example).

Physically I'm fine, but mentally the rust is obvious. I'm not quick enough, not sharp enough yet. Not necessarily missing the obvious, but identifying the correct position too late and not being able to get there in time to be credible. That half-second delay is crucial. Overplaying advantage was another - player appealing that an opponent had handled the keeper's clearance when he blocked it. In my defence the ball landed straight at the appealing player's feet with nobody anywhere near him, but he was to busy complaining that he took no notice and couldn't take advantage. In hindsight, calling an IDFK for preventing the release would have saved me the hassle. Don't think he handled it, but that point would have been moot.

A few youth games and some lower division stuff will get me where I need to be within a few weeks.

Tomorrow sees me at my second Contrib Observation of the season with a third on Saturday. Not bad considering I only did seven in the whole of last season

Put up some lights, line on a top flight national league U18, watch prem (as I didn’t see any last week).

I warmed up last night by watching lots of silly Liverpool player videos, including hilarious Sturridge stuff. This Liverpool team. And the size of Virgil and Allison. Hate to wait until Monday!

Trying not to put so much weight over the next 10 days as I’m on holiday! So watching loads of football if the little princess allows daddy of course!!

Training this morning.

Got a message after asking to do a friendly, I declined, got some snark back from them. Hoo boy, could be a long season eh?

Was in the away end for Bristol City v Middlesbrough on the Saturday. Bristol City wanting to play it on the deck but Boro there for the physical battle which was well handled by the man in the middle.

Then put myself back in the middle for a sunday league pre season friendly where almost nothing happened bar neck ache from watching the ball get lumped over my head for 90 minutes.

Then put myself back in the middle for a sunday league pre season friendly where almost nothing happened bar neck ache from watching the ball get lumped over my head for 90 minutes.

Consider those 'shuttle run' training sessions. :p

My league fixtures are out, but I haven't received any appointments... :( I may send a reminder this afternoon just in case they left my e-mail out, which has happened before. (I hate doing that though, cos I feel so pushy...)

This Saturday I'm at QPR :confused::eek::bite::bite::bite:, I was also there last Tuesday. Throw in AR assignments last Saturday, Sunday, yesterday and Weds evenings and its my 6th 'live game' in 8 days.

No prizes for guessing which games were the most enjoyable!:p

This Saturday I'm at QPR :confused::eek::bite::bite::bite:, I was also there last Tuesday. Throw in AR assignments last Saturday, Sunday, yesterday and Weds evenings and its my 6th 'live game' in 8 days.

Get rid of the wally with the brolley?
Sweet busy then

It must be quite painful to be taken up the R’s at the moment :bite:. We do though look forward to another three points in January at BDTBL. I think by then Harry will be back! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back