A&H

When do you check boots

Dave Mac

well got my first game this weekend so plan on turning up in good time, have a chat with the home manager. Get out for a little warm up and check the pitch. then chat to both managers, lino's, then should I be checking the boots. roughly how long will this take to get all of their boots checked?

The Referee Store
I wait until they are out on the pitch - you will normally find a good time when they are sort of together, amble up and ask em to show the boots - they should be used to it.

Also my first game this weekend, how do you go about the wedding rings issue? tape up or removal?

It comes off. I give then the old, remove it or you don't play. It's amazing how quickly a ring comes off

Boots: I never check, its not excpected of us down this neck of the woods, infact, it is heavily criticised if you do.
Ring: ITs off, or your off :)

anyone who doesn't check boots should wait for the one challenge that's gonna hurt someone!.........not a go at you at all, but your CFA should definately review their guidelines!

As for the ring - it's a gonner - every time!

Try telling the FAW that.

On a side note, what exactly do you look for? A boot has 6 studs of the bottom of it, what could possibly be more dangerous than that? And how do you check? Surely you don't run your hands over them?

The sharpness of the stud is the most important thing to check for. My friend was seriously injured a couple of seasons ago when he was challenged by a player with sharpened studs, it took a chunk out of his right thigh, wasn't a pretty sight when I saw a photo! Low & behold the referee that day didn't check the boots before the game...

Thankfully he made a full recovery and is back playing!

OUCH ! Can't believe that any ref would check not boots, shinguards or jewellery. Obviously not your fault as you have been told to not to check them. Here in Dublin, our assessor's would ROAST us if we didn't check players boots. In fact most teams, if not all, call us and ask are we ready to do the boots because its the norm and they expect it at every match. And NEVER NEVER use your hands to check studs, visual only. As for rings, if they stay on, then the player stays off !!!!. Don't forget we are not allowed jewellery either.:oops:

I check the starting 11 around five minutes prior to kick off and I check each and every substitute before he steps onto the pitch. It is extremely easy to have a substitute with safe studs before the match and sharpen his studs on the bench while he's waiting to come onto the pitch.

Wedding rings are never allowed. If they give you guff and say that they saw the pros doing it, tell them that the pros remove their wedding rings and tape their fingers where it was so as to symbolize it.

right this is quality you lot in england check there boots but dont bother with undergraments whats the world coming to lol what is the point in checking boots what a total waste of time imo they are the least of a referees worry earings , rings , wrist bands ,necklases , undergarments are the main boots tut tut tut pointless next youll be saying you check for **** rings pmsl this is just my point of veiw rant over !!!

If anythings going to cause a serious injury its more likely to be boot studs or blades rather than undergarments !

right this is quality you lot in england check there boots but dont bother with undergraments whats the world coming to lol what is the point in checking boots what a total waste of time imo they are the least of a referees worry earings , rings , wrist bands ,necklases , undergarments are the main boots tut tut tut pointless next youll be saying you check for **** rings pmsl this is just my point of veiw rant over !!!
I wouldn't phrase it quite like that, but in effect, we agree :cool:

Back