A&H

When can I apply for promotion?

jackpeet

Hi,

Having returned to Refereeing this year after a long break, I have now finished my first five games and wondered if i could now apply for promotion?

Thanks

The Referee Store
Hi,

Having returned to Refereeing this year after a long break, I have now finished my first five games and wondered if i could now apply for promotion?

Thanks
Yes. There the progression pathway has changed so you no longer have to have refereed a minimum number of games before applying for promotion and the promotion windows are more frequent.
Contact your RDO for more detailed info on how to apply

Hi All,

Quick question...

With regards to promotions can you go from Level 7 straight to Level 5? I'm an assistant fairly often and the only additional criteria for a level 5 promotion is to have completed 5 matches as an appointed assistant:

"All Level 6 to 5 promotion candidates will be expected to meet the following criteria:

* must have met all of the above Level 7 to 6 criteria
* must have completed five 11v11 matches as an appointed assistant referee during the promotion season at senior level"

I get that going from 7 to 6 and then 6 to 5 will be 20 more games refereed, so you will have greater experience, but it just seems strange to me that the criteria is so similar.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jack.

Hi All,

Quick question...

With regards to promotions can you go from Level 7 straight to Level 5? I'm an assistant fairly often and the only additional criteria for a level 5 promotion is to have completed 5 matches as an appointed assistant:

"All Level 6 to 5 promotion candidates will be expected to meet the following criteria:

* must have completed five 11v11 matches as an appointed assistant referee during the promotion season at senior level"

I get that going from 7 to 6 and then 6 to 5 will be 20 more games refereed, so you will have greater experience, but it just seems strange to me that the criteria is so similar.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jack.
You used to be able to on the old promotion scheme that was based over a whole season, some counties allowed accelerated promotion where the season was split into two and you could go 7-6 in the first half and 6-5 in the second.

Still kind of the same now, promotions are decided every few months so you could, in theory, go 7-6 and 6-5 in the space of four months, although you'd need to be refereeing a huge amount of games to meet the criteria for each in 2 months.

Think it is more games than you mentioned.
Having done exactly what you mentioned, this season myself.

7-6 is 25 games (15 can be youth games).

6-5 is 25 games (10 can be youth) + 5 Assistants, must be U18s or above.

Also all games and lines restart on the day you get Level 6. So can't use old lines or matches.

So technically a minimum of 55 games. 50 in the middle and 5 as an assistant.

Friendlies don't count.

Thanks for your message.

This is from the Essex FA, so not sure its as many games as you mention:

"MALE PYRAMID

Level 7-6
All Level 7 to 6 promotion candidates will be expected to meet the following criteria:

* attend a recognised in-service training seminar
* successfully complete an examination on the laws of the game
* keep the Referees Department informed of all their fixtures
* referee a minimum of 20 11v11 appointed matches during the promotion season, of which a maximum of six games may be at Under 18s level
* respond to all correspondence efficiently, preferably by E-Mail
* meet the required performance standard within the Referee Observations carried out during the promotion season

Level 6-5
All Level 6 to 5 promotion candidates will be expected to meet the following criteria:

It may differ between County FA's as the amount of youth games you mention seems very high compared to whats mentioned on the Essex FA Progression Pathway Guidlines?

Thanks for your message.

This is from the Essex FA, so not sure its as many games as you mention:

"MALE PYRAMID

Level 7-6
All Level 7 to 6 promotion candidates will be expected to meet the following criteria:

* attend a recognised in-service training seminar
* successfully complete an examination on the laws of the game
* keep the Referees Department informed of all their fixtures
* referee a minimum of 20 11v11 appointed matches during the promotion season, of which a maximum of six games may be at Under 18s level
* respond to all correspondence efficiently, preferably by E-Mail
* meet the required performance standard within the Referee Observations carried out during the promotion season

Level 6-5
All Level 6 to 5 promotion candidates will be expected to meet the following criteria:

It may differ between County FA's as the amount of youth games you mention seems very high compared to whats mentioned on the Essex FA Progression Pathway Guidlines?
The limit set The FA was 15 youths at 7-6, although some CFAs may well decide to change it. You could also do 7-5 in 1 season, as you could do 7-6 Sept-Dec, and do 6-5 Dec/Jan-Apr. Perfectly ok.

Thanks for the quick response!

Given the amount of fixtures I'd need to be on, I'll look to take the two season approach as that way I'll probably not end up divorced 🤣
It always makes me laugh when you see people who've achieved great things in refereeing thanking their partners for their support. I wonder where one finds one of these super supportive partners?!

It always makes me laugh when you see people who've achieved great things in refereeing thanking their partners for their support. I wonder where one finds one of these super supportive partners?!
Maybe the mods could set up a special forum or a match making subsite for potential partners? A prize for the best name for it!

Back