A&H

Whats the earliest time you've given red/yellow card?

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Its the obvious question after the 'latest time' thread.

Can't honestly remember any stand out early cards in games I've been officiating - but sure some of you have some examples?!

The Referee Store
Red for DOGSO after 10 seconds. Team took the kick off and played it back to centre half, he made a mess of it and was dispossessed then pulled the attacker back when he was clean through.

Intermediate, local league but with lots of semi-pro players playing. I refereed the player I binned in a supply league game the following week, he saw the funny side in fairness.

This is probably the best one ever, love the drive by red card by the referee 😂

Intermediate, local league but with lots of semi-pro players playing. I refereed the player I binned in a supply league game the following week, he saw the funny side in fairness.

Isn't this wrong though if he made a genuine attempt to play the ball?

Isn't this wrong though if he made a genuine attempt to play the ball?
I think it is from about ten years ago, so well before the law was changed. The referee was Neil Hair, who I worked with after that happened and is now an EFL referee.

I do remember one on a really wet day a few years ago. Away team takes the KO, is passing it around their midfield and the home attacker comes charging in, slips, clears out the opponent. Give the foul, play goes on, they're passing it around the defence again and the same attacker comes charging in and clatters an opponent late again. I remember thinking "he's just going to keep doing that all game if I let him", so call him in and get the yellow card out. About 30 seconds on the watch, probably not more than 15-20 seconds of actual playing time. Possibly harsh, but the second one was I think less accidental and more forceful then the first.

I took the opportunity to get both captains in and make it clear that it's on the players to modify their challenges for the conditions, not on me to change the foul threshold to allow for it and it seemed to work. Player in question slowed down and it wasn't until the 85th minute when he actually ended up getting sent for OFFINABUS to an opponent.

I think it is from about ten years ago, so well before the law was changed.
5 February 2011 to be exact :D

I can't remember any particularly early cards when I've been in the middle, and the only one as AR that stands out in my mind was a FA Trophy game a couple of years ago when I've flagged for an off-the-ball kick out after about five minutes.

Cautioned in 20 secs, reckless. Notorious niggly forward against a powerhouse centre half, was looking to leave his mark early on, no doubt aware he would be battered about for the match. Premeditated and costly, as ten min later he dived, his nemisis of course, never got near him, just threw himself over the defenders thigh. Bye bye.

Poor from an otherwise decent player, resorting to kicking, then cheating,to try get the better of his oppoent

Where I am, we line up the players for the boot check and also check for jewelry. A couple of times players have spit right in front of me, in my direction, and I have been so tempted to card them just due to their shear disregard or disrespect. I held back both times but gave them a rollicking.

Where I am, we line up the players for the boot check and also check for jewelry. A couple of times players have spit right in front of me, in my direction, and I have been so tempted to card them just due to their shear disregard or disrespect. I held back both times but gave them a rollicking.
That's jogged a memory, cautioned a player for urinating inside the cage before kick off. The toilet is literally next to the entrance to the cage, just no need for it.

Wow. I admire your restraint but if some bloke spat at me I'd be whipping out a red so fast it would make his head spin.

Absolute filthy behaviour.

Earliest red card is 7 minutes in, for DOGSO handling. The previous day is set a new record of 8 minutes, for a DOGSO foul.

Earliest caution was about 4 minutes in, for a non-DOGSO penalty against a goalkeeper (player heading out of the penalty area and the beat will in the world the angle was against him scoring before the keeper got back on his feet)

Seem to remember Nathan Abbey picking one up almost as quickly in a National League game. May have been for Stevenage Borough.

Back