A&H

What's the correct restart?

U13 blue V red, 1 on 1 challenging at speed for the ball near touch line. Red nips ball out for a throw but blue then charges red and takes him out. IMO, it was just careless, not anything more. I gave a free kick to red as it felt the right decision to make. On checking LOTG, this can't be a foul as the ball wasn't in play and restart should just be the throw in (not even to the offended team).
Just doesn't sit comfortably with me that a player can be taken out in this way and the perpetrator gains a throw . Not surprisingly no complaints on my decision but if an assessor was present I would have to sell it that ball was still in play when contact was made!

The Referee Store
I tend to agree with Dave - normally these things happen really quickly so it's justifiable. If it's so late that the ball in play isn't in question then you're looking at a reckless tackle anyway and it's easier to sell the throw if you've cautioned (as it shows you saw it but were limited by law).

U13 blue V red, 1 on 1 challenging at speed for the ball near touch line. Red nips ball out for a throw but blue then charges red and takes him out. IMO, it was just careless, not anything more. I gave a free kick to red as it felt the right decision to make. On checking LOTG, this can't be a foul as the ball wasn't in play and restart should just be the throw in (not even to the offended team).
Just doesn't sit comfortably with me that a player can be taken out in this way and the perpetrator gains a throw . Not surprisingly no complaints on my decision but if an assessor was present I would have to sell it that ball was still in play when contact was made!
The ball is out of play so it can't be a foul. You mentioned that blue "takes him out". That doesn't sound much like careless to me and in view of the unnecessary action after the ball having gone out of play, I'd be looking for a caution for this behaviour. It makes the restart of a throw-in easier to sell.

If it's clearly out of play then you're stuck with the laws here. If it may have still been on the line you can go with the FK, but if it's out of play, you have to do the right thing. And this is one of those times when the right thing is going to confuse 11 players (the other 11, of course, don't think there was a foul).

It's no different to other scenario where an offence - say, VC, occurs after the ball is already out of play.

Given you can't award the FK, you probably want to draw some sort of attention to it. At least have a word if you don't think it's worth of a caution.

Had this in my game this morning...possibly the first time I've found myself thinking of refchat with a game in progress.

Talked to offending player briefly, restarted with throw...not a murmur

Back