A&H

Whats the Best Kit to buy? (New Ref)

peter

Hi,
I'm about to take a training course to become a referee,
and i was wondering, what is a good Referee kit to buy that isnt to costly?
Thanks

The Referee Store
Have a look on ebay for stuff, I've got the umbro respect kit (last season premier league) but they gave us that when we did our ref's course and it's ideal. The ones I've seen online go for about £30-45, or the shirt on its own is about £25ish. Otherwise, the Referee's Association do some shirts. In terms of costs, I would probably opt for a pair of plain black socks and shorts (with pockets ideally) and only get a proper referee shirt...some of the package deals are ideal for when you've done a few seasons and you've got FAMOA reward points to spend but otherwise they can be a bit pricey. Hope this helps!

Peter
It depends on what you call not too costly. The Referees' Association's cheapest kit is about £37 (http://www.rashop.co.uk/products.asp?cat=25), while this site (http://www.merlin-sports.co.uk/legea_referees_kit.html) does the Legea kit for about £25. I don't have either of these so cannot comment on the quality of either. There was a thread on here earlier (http://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/new-legea-kit.562/) about the Legea kit so that might help. The only thing I can really suggest is have a trawl around on the internet.

As a a new starter, any kit that does not cost a fortune (PGMO Kits, I'm looking at you!). The RA kit is a good place to start from this point of view.
Once you are established then by all means consider a higher standard kit, but there is no point going out and buying all the top gear if you find out you don't enjoy it.

While you are training you may also find that some FAs and even RAs have a stock of loaner kits, that you can borrow for the intial period.

As Tealeaf says, RA is a great starter kit, especially the 'starter pack' they do (if they still do them), and as the main kit in Wales (granted, not a selling point!) the Legea is decent quality, however be wary, the short sizes are WAY smaller in comparison to the shirt.

There are a couples of threads that deal with this question I believe, but I love talking about kits so I'm not bothered :p

Thanks alot, Think im gonna go for a decent shirt (some kind of umbro one i think) with plain black socks and shorts :)

I have a legea kit and it's nice and simple, personally I like it but pockets on the shirt are a little small though

i would recommend the umbro diamond kit i just bought, i wouldn't recommend the RA kit it is really thin, i experienced this on a freezing frosty morning short sleeve kit, i couldn't feel myself but the diamond is thicker and comfortable, i am wearing it first time tomorrow, i will put some pics and a review up tomorrow :)

Sorry this is going a little off topic, but Ryan did you have the kit embroidered? I had mine embroidered, but the embroidery was poor, so I got in contact, and after the week, including the Sales Manager having met with the embroiderer, a different technique has been used to embroider the kit, and I waiting for the description of it on an example kit, because if the quality is better using the different technique, then I have been offered an exchange. Just wondering if you had the same problem (the badge I had embroidered was my county badge).

i did, its not the best but it isn't poor, i will upload pics tomorrow

if you wanna go out on a limb then refkit as ive had a ra shirt last season and the pockets were small and the Velcro on the pocket don't last long

Umbro Wembley shirts are good (£33.44 with badge from A&H), sports direct sell black shorts with a white stripe for about £15 and any black socks but look for umbro ones as I feel they are the best

Back