A&H

What would you do...

Hartlepool_ref

In my u14s semi-final yesterday there was a blatant back pass. The Keeper realised and tried to drop the ball before I noticed.... I noticed !
But this got me thinking, if say the same situation occurred, the keeper picks up a back pass, and before you can blow your whistle he drops it; the attacker gets there first and lashes it in the net... Would you pull back for the passback and give an IDF, or allow the Goal as an advantage ?

The Referee Store
Good question

I'm going for allow the goal

my thought process - i compared it with a defender handling the ball on the line to save a certain goal but, before you can whistle, for penalty and sending off, a striker gets to the ball first and lashes it home.

You should give the goal for that so i'm applying the same logic and giving it for your example too

There's no more clear advantage than a goal being scored! The keeper picking up the ball doesn't stop play, so you're perfectly free to apply advantage.

I didnt think you could really play advantage for IDFKs? Like offside, if a player offide touches it, no matter if his touch allows the non offending team to break clearly you still have to give it?

Or is this me being derp at what is far too early of a morning?

I've had occasions where the offside player has interfered, the linesman has raised his flag but before I see the flag the attacker has lost it and the defending team break away, so I've played advantage and acknowledged the linesmans flag with a thumbs up or something.
But with regards to the back pass yeah, I was leaning more towards allowing the goal.

More commonly for me, is that the flag goes up for offside but the ball runs through to the keeper. Likewise acknowledge the AR and to keep the baying hounds on the touchline silent signal advantage as well... (and I've seen advantage from offside played by the ref in the EPL as well).

Presumably there's nothing to prevent you playing advantage from any offence, unless you really should be stopping for a dismissal.

If you haven't blown the whistle, the ball has not gone out of play, advantage, goal.

Jobs a good 'un.

You cannot play advantage on an incorrect restart. [special circumstances below]

What's that mean? A throw-in taken incorrectly? Well, not in play because the procedure wasn't followed properly.
A goal kick doesn't leave the penalty area? Not in play.

Now, a throw-in taken correctly, in play, the thrower then plays the ball a second time, but it goes directly into his own goal off that play? Advantage, goal.

A goal kick leaves the penalty area. The kicker chases after it and touches it a second time, but straight to an opponent for a chance on goal? Advantage.

The difference here is that if a restart is not taken correctly (ie, the procedure not followed and/or the ball not yet in play), then you cannot have advantage, as the ball is not in play.

Advantage clearly applies to any Law 12 offence. DFK or IFK, doesn't matterSo you'd allow the goal.
There's some debate over whether it can apply to a non-Law 12 offence. I don't see why not.
The scenario where a flag goes up for offside and the ball goes through to the keeper....well, this is a technically incorrect early flag. That, or it's a trifling infringement that had no effect on play. As for an actual offside that was missed, I don't see why advantage can't be applied.

You cannot play advantage on an incorrect restart. [special circumstances below]

What's that mean? A throw-in taken incorrectly? Well, not in play because the procedure wasn't followed properly.
A goal kick doesn't leave the penalty area? Not in play.

Now, a throw-in taken correctly, in play, the thrower then plays the ball a second time, but it goes directly into his own goal off that play? Advantage, goal.

A goal kick leaves the penalty area. The kicker chases after it and touches it a second time, but straight to an opponent for a chance on goal? Advantage.

The difference here is that if a restart is not taken correctly (ie, the procedure not followed and/or the ball not yet in play), then you cannot have advantage, as the ball is not in play.
@AlexF touching the ball a second time is not really a special circumstance of an incorrect restart. Its an offence committed after a correct restart. I cant think of any incorrect restart that puts the ball in play. Therefore there can never be advantage of an incorrect restart.

An interesting scenario is when a free kick is taken not from the position where an offence took place and the ball is intercepted by an opponent. If the referee allows play to continue then technically he is not playing advantage but has deemed the restart to be correct.

touching the ball a second time is not really a special circumstance of an incorrect restart. Its an offence committed after a correct restart. I cant think of any incorrect restart that puts the ball in play. Therefore there can never be advantage of an incorrect restart.
Completely agree.

I tried to word things that way because a number of referees seem to believe that an incorrect restart includes that "second touch" by s/he who restarts.

But you are, of course, correct in that there is no incorrect restart that will put the ball back in play (legally).

Reactions: one
I think if your being assessed blow up for the idfk but if not use a little bit of law 18

Why don't you think an assessor would want you to correctly play advantage, @refcraig?

This isn't a 'spirit of the game vs laws of the game' issue - the laws are crystal clear here, and that's advantage, and the spirit of the game coincides.

Back