A&H

Junior/Youth What would you do.....

Padfoot

The Persecuted One
Game 2-2....last minute of game....U15's.

Ball is played over the top of the Red defence, Blue attacker chasing the ball, Red defender chasing the attacker. Ball is heading towards the corner......
Red defender trips up the blue attacker, blue attacker goes down, ball is 10-15 metres away.

What do you do?

The Referee Store
If you deem it a deliberate trip I would be awarding a DFK or indeed PK and possible YC to defender. (if ball is still in play) If its a simple collision or tangle of legs then more than likely no call. But from the words in OP, a trip, then, DFK or PK and possible caution.
If ball is out of play, then corner or goal kick, whatever the correct call is, and possible yellow card for trip/reckless/playing legs whatever is relevant to your league/FA misconduct report.
No different, to, punches opponent with ball 10-15 metres away, apart from clearly the colour of card (if any)

As others, where's the catch?

Easy, DFK/PK dependant on location of said trip and relevant disciplinary sanction, if any.

Seeing lots of calls for a caution? If the ball's heading to the corner then its debatable if its SPA and YHTBT to call it.

What I read from the description, the ball is heading out but the defender tripped the attacker hence my call for a caution. But till Padders tells us the catch it is as you rightly said @JamesL YHTBT scenario for a caution (if at all needed)

As others, where's the catch?

Easy, DFK/PK dependant on location of said trip and relevant disciplinary sanction, if any.

Seeing lots of calls for a caution? If the ball's heading to the corner then its debatable if its SPA and YHTBT to call it.

In Scotland our misconduct form has "deliberately trips an opponent", so, depending on your tolerance and how you view the trip it certainly is a consideration on those merits.

Inside or outside the PA? Deliberate or non deliberate trip? Ball close to the goal or nearer the corner? Any infringement before i.e. was attacker in offside position? Was the defender an outfield player or goalkeeper? Was he on a yellow already or multiple fouls committed and just a warning? Your scenario is a cut and dried if you explained it fully, but too many questions need answered before an answer can be given.

In Scotland our misconduct form has "deliberately trips an opponent", so, depending on your tolerance and how you view the trip it certainly is a consideration on those merits.
The FA code in England is just TR For tripping. The OP does not mention a deliberate trip.
I didnt say no caution, I said discipline, if any. Lots of dead cert cautions being mentioned but not enough info to make that judgement for me.

The FA code in England is just TR For tripping. The OP does not mention a deliberate trip.
I didnt say no caution, I said discipline, if any. Lots of dead cert cautions being mentioned but not enough info to make that judgement for me.

agreed, i've made assumptions there with my call for a YC

Am same, its how you view it at the time. Course you need to see it. I read it as a trip, not a coming together, so, if a defender trips an attacker, then am giving a DFK (if ball in play). Would need to see said trip to decide on a sanction. 60/40 in favour of sanction for me

How does the defender trip the attacker? Is there a case for violent conduct here? You could look at it and consider that any force in a challenge like this is excessive.
Restart is a DFK/PK depending on location of the trip.

i cant see the twist in this one? FK and a caution PK if it was in the PA
Hang on guv... being in/out of the PA doesn't mean mandatory YC does it...?

If the trip is an attempt to play the ball and it's not a promising attack, and the trip is careless, not reckless, then there's no YC (no DOGSO here heading for the corner).

If the foul is in the PA and the ball is in play then PK - no YC if no other criteria are met.

If the ball has run out off the attacker already at the time of the foul then GK is the correct restart but surely a YC will follow as the ref will infer that there was either SPA or the tackle was reckless (can you base this on there being no opportunity to play the ball as it is not within playing distance?)

I have to 'fess up. I had one of these this week. Attacker heading away from goal in PA, defender trips attacker accidentally, no attempt to play the ball, not in playing distance, no SPA, no DOGSO, careless, tiny clip of the heels but knocked him over. I could have gone with YC for SPA but the ball might have run out of play before the attacker got to it - I chose PK, no YC and explained very quickly to the players.

Inside or outside the PA? Deliberate or non deliberate trip? Ball close to the goal or nearer the corner? Any infringement before i.e. was attacker in offside position? Was the defender an outfield player or goalkeeper? Was he on a yellow already or multiple fouls committed and just a warning? Your scenario is a cut and dried if you explained it fully, but too many questions need answered before an answer can be given.

Outside PA. Deliberate trip. Nearer to corner. No infringement from attacker. Defender was outfield player. Hadn't been previously cautioned, no idea about previous fouls or warnings.

I wasn't there. I have a 2 coaches accounts, 1 home, 1 away, and a referees report. I have some personal knowledge of the defender involved and his "style" as he has previously played in the same team as my son a couple of seasons ago.

No real catch to the scenario, just interested as to how people saw things from a fairly brief written description. Will divulge the actual outcome in a little while.......

right, with you now... the various replies to the initial description of the scenario demonstrate how important it is to give details in any reports relating to cautions and send offs.
I think my first few attempts were sketchy, but i'm very mindful these days to remember that the person reading the report,more than likely, wasnt actually at the game!

Going DFK possible yellow based on tempo etc of game and given last minute and position of foul as not really stopping a promising attack, however if I was there and based on all information DFK minimum possible yellow card and potentially red if it was a deliberate kick out to trip them, not just a wee ankle tap as such! .

DFK to blues, maybe a yellow for the defender. The description doesn't make it sound reckless, but there isn't enough there to know whether SPA or persistent infringement might be a factor.

OK......

Referee sent the defender off for Violent Conduct, stating that the player "kicked out" at the attacker.

From the accounts of the 2 coaches, it sounds much more like the defender stuck a leg out and tripped the attacker.....referees report very poorly written.

I'd be very surprised if the player swung a kick at the attacker....he's clumsy for sure, but never been malicious before.....can certainly see him trying a cheeky trip.

Without being there and seeing for myself.....very difficult to judge, but my gut says it's an overreaction to a trip....possibly influenced by the position on the pitch, being the "last man" etc etc

Back