A&H

What to write at substitutions

Jtpetherick1

Good evening all, I recently got picked up by an assessor for not making notes of substitutions when in the middle - I simply didn't realise that this had to be done as there is technically nothing about it in LOTG as far as I can see. I'm therefore curious - as both a referee in the middle or as AR1 - what should I be writing when substitutes come on? I assume I need the name of who is coming on but do others consider shirt number? Time? Player being replaced? to be important? Also, if I have two substitutes on at once, can I just count that as 30 seconds added time rather than 2 x 30s.

The Referee Store
Depends what league requires - often you’ll just need to know who has come on so the number of the player will be helpful. Check the league rules/team sheets if they exist

Reactions: one
As a minimum you need to know what player came on. If a player is named as a sub and doesn't come on they aren't classed as a participant in the game. So think about future games like cup finals, the league might need to know if that player came on as if he did and then changed to another club he would be "cup tied", whereas had he not come on he wouldn't.

Good evening all, I recently got picked up by an assessor for not making notes of substitutions when in the middle - I simply didn't realise that this had to be done as there is technically nothing about it in LOTG as far as I can see. I'm therefore curious - as both a referee in the middle or as AR1 - what should I be writing when substitutes come on? I assume I need the name of who is coming on but do others consider shirt number? Time? Player being replaced? to be important?
How are you going to know that they're allowed to sub at all, if you haven't noted how many subs were already made, or whether this individual started on the field and was subbed off earlier, or whether the incoming player was actually sent off an hour ago?

How you note things depends on whether it's rolling subs or not, and whether you have team sheets with numbers that match.
It can be as simple as writing e.g. "7 --> 13 (81)", or starting with the subs' numbers and crossing them off once they enter. In both cases you know exactly who has taken part in the match, and if necessary, where the sub occurred in the match timeline.
If you have to ask for a name instead, it just takes a few seconds longer to write down, but the process is much the same.
Also, if I have two substitutes on at once, can I just count that as 30 seconds added time rather than 2 x 30s.
You should count it as however long the stoppage takes, regardless of how many players are being subbed at the same time.
If all six get done in 13 seconds, you add 13 seconds. If it takes one player 37 seconds, you add 37 seconds.

Depends on league rules. A lot of different combinations and reasons to do different things

• If there is only a limit for substitutions then you need to record something even if its a tick in your notebook to indicate a sub was done.
  • If there is a requirement to record who had any game time (some leagues need it for finals series etc) then you need to record the name/number of who came on.
  • If there is a minimum time on field requirement as above then you need to record the time as well.
  • If interchanges (returning substitutes) is allowed then you don't need to record who left but otherwise you need to record it so than they don't come back on
  • Some leagues require everything recorded (goal scores, time of goals, sanctions, subs etc) just for statistical reasons
Have a look at the teamsheet where you should record things after the game is a good indication of what the league needs.

As a matter of good habit I always score everything even if the league doesn't need it (most my games are limited 3 or 5 substitutions with no returning subs). Except for some grassroots game where they are unlimited substitutions, I record the used substitutes only once if the league needs it.

For added time, if you have a watch that can be paused function you can use then then use that (be careful not to forget to restart). Otherwise 30 seconds is a good rule of thumb most referees use and it works well.

Good evening all, I recently got picked up by an assessor for not making notes of substitutions when in the middle - I simply didn't realise that this had to be done as there is technically nothing about it in LOTG as far as I can see. I'm therefore curious - as both a referee in the middle or as AR1 - what should I be writing when substitutes come on? I assume I need the name of who is coming on but do others consider shirt number? Time? Player being replaced? to be important? Also, if I have two substitutes on at once, can I just count that as 30 seconds added time rather than 2 x 30s.

Are you asking if as a ref you have to note subs in addition to AR1 noting subs?

Because that seems nuts if you have AR's (that are qualified NARs not club CARs).

Sub time is the one time the ref gets a breather!

Are you asking if as a ref you have to note subs in addition to AR1 noting subs?

Because that seems nuts if you have AR's (that are qualified NARs not club CARs).

Sub time is the one time the ref gets a breather!
If you have a 4O I'd agree with that otherwise I'd like at least two ppl to record it and AR2 is too far to see the numbers and that leaves AR1 and CR

Back