A&H

What time?

Level below requiring NAR's with tin shed n bench? North west... similar to far west?The match I'm on about its a bog standard Saturday league, but the club has got proper facilities(bar, showers and a "proper" clubhouse), so a bit of lay the boundaries down, is more effective IMHO, than starting dishing out cards left right and centre, and risking losing control of the game.

The Referee Store
Do you REALLY think any player has been about to clean a guy out but stopped as something you said in a pre-match flashed back into his brain? You must be a lot more charming than me. (Quite possible)
Why lay boundaries down? A caution in a heated match isn't always a caution in a normal match.
But you don't know which way the match is going to go. By saying "if you do that I'll do this" you're giving yourself no wiggle room and players will be running up to you all match saying "but ref you said that was a booking!!"

No I'm not charmer than you, but in my line of work I have a team of 14 others to motivate and lead, and sometimes discipline.
In the pre match talk I make them aware of those things I won't tolerate. Simple.

Level below requiring NAR's with tin shed n bench? North west... similar to far west?The match I'm on about its a bog standard Saturday league, but the club has got proper facilities(bar, showers and a "proper" clubhouse), so a bit of lay the boundaries down, is more effective IMHO, than starting dishing out cards left right and centre, and risking losing control of the game.
Don't limit yourself by setting out expectations before the game

When you're doing your equipment check maybe have a few quick words to say you're grumpy and they shouldn't get on your case, but leave it at that. Ask the captains to work with you, support you if you call them in or you won't ask for their help again. Also make sure they understand you reserve the right to go straight for your pocket. Toss the coin and get the game on. Apply law consistently, manage players fairly and consistently. Enjoy yourself.

No I'm not charmer than you, but in my line of work I have a team of 14 others to motivate and lead, and sometimes discipline.
In the pre match talk I make them aware of those things I won't tolerate. Simple.
In my previous employment I have had up to 120 reporting to me, but when I'm a referee, I'm a referee. Sure I may use some of the tools from the office on the players and some of the tools from the field in the office but the two are generally separate. You are providing a service, they are your customers, they are not your staff.

Reactions: SM
@Brian Hamilton i was thinking shorter and sweeter, watch your language, watch your tackles, captains help and have a good game. 1 minute talk, no more than that.

@Brian Hamilton i was thinking shorter and sweeter, watch your language, watch your tackles, captains help and have a good game. 1 minute talk, no more than that.
I'd save your breath and wouldn't mention language or tackles. Whatever you say will go straight out of their minds the first time you give a throw-in the wrong way (in their eyes).

Don't ake this the wrong way PS, after all who am I to say my prematch is any better than anyone else's.
But "watch your tackles, watch your language" is just like background noise IMO.
It's like when your mum says "drive safe on those roads". You just say "yeah okay mum" and then drive exactly as you were going to do anyway.
It took a few seasons for me to notice that captains weren't even listening to my 30 second pre match blurb, it's just like the pre flight safety announcemnet - rightly or wrongly, noone's listening

see this is where you are going wrong, I get the to write me up a 2000 word report on what I just said and the importance of what ive said :D:p

OK then scrap the pure match talk then.... Not a problem.
@deusex no worries, no offence there... Play on... Lol
@Brian Hamilton thanks for your help.
After all this is my very first season in black, so I'm grateful for the support.

I think we all did this first season PS, get the captains in have a chat, set out your expectations etc etc etc etc yawn. We had a PGMOL Official at a meeting and he told us his which I have now adopted, "Control your players, home captain heads or tails, enjoy it lads".

Simples

Changing rooms, what are they? :)

For games I have done "straight from work", it's usually get changed at work before I leave or in the car when I get there.

I think we all did this first season PS, get the captains in have a chat, set out your expectations etc etc etc etc yawn. We had a PGMOL Official at a meeting and he told us his which I have now adopted, "Control your players, home captain heads or tails, enjoy it lads".

Simples

Was that Tayls by any chance?? I know he likes a short pre match (or did last time i spoke with him about this)...

Arrive in good time so that you have 20mins ish to inspect the pitch and still leave time for any problems to be put right. I always aim to be at the ground 1 hour before KO.
Never say anything to players before a game that you may find difficult to follow through during the game or you will quickly make a rod for your own back !

Arrive in good time so that you have 20mins ish to inspect the pitch and still leave time for any problems to be put right. I always aim to be at the ground 1 hour before KO.
Never say anything to players before a game!

Fixed that for you ;)

Mmmmm, not sure going into the changing rooms is a good idea. In my view you are going into "thier" space as much as you wouldn't wan't them coming into your Referees room before the game.
Pre-match "chats" in too much detail is also another one which can leave you on dodgy ground. If you are laying down the law before a ball has even been kicked one could say you are laying down a marker but if this is not then carried out it can be seen as a sign of weakness which will be picked up on by the players.
I do have a quick chat with the captains but do not go into too much detail, just something along the lines of-
"you know your team mates better than me, so if we all work together we can prevent things happening that might end up costing your team during the match"
This works for me but I also know referees that don't speak to anyone before the game who also manage just aswell. I guess it's personal preference.

Last edited:
Had the joy of slowly losing my voice as a result to a throat infection, just called the captains over and said "look my voice is going as you can tell, leave out the language i dont want to hear it. Enjoy" No major issues for once.

Back