A&H

what! nothing on phil dowd and manure v chelski

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
Two yellows for ivanovic? - phil dowd obviously saw them one way but did he get them both right?

Was the first one for dissent, do we think, rather than for the push?

Was the second for a tactical foul?

Would it improve relationships between referees and the big, bad, outside world if the reason for each caution given was given to the world at large. Not an explanation, just a reason. Surely what's good enough for wholegame is good enough for joe public, who would be educated into the bargain

As for the wrestling matches in the united penalty area...........well!

The Referee Store
Ivanovic can feel hard done by for the first freekick, but it looks like he is done for dissent so if he talked himself into the book, more fool him for being unable to keep his mouth shut. The second one is really unfortunate. A foul yes, a caution? nope. And of course the resulting freekick leads a goal. Football is nothing if not filled with ironies. :)

As for the wrestling in the box, why that is not a penalty I have no idea. Seemed Dowd was looking right at the incident

I like the idea of referees being allowed to speak to the media. Have the questions sent through to the referee after the match whilst he is still in his dressing room with his fellow officials, gives him a chance to gather his thoughts and be clear in his mind which incident is being talked about before facing the camera. The referee then comes out and explains the decisions. As long as it is respectful questioning I see no issues with it. Might be a long time coming though as referees will need to do extensive media training first... :D

I like the idea of referees being allowed to speak to the media. Have the questions sent through to the referee after the match whilst he is still in his dressing room with his fellow officials, gives him a chance to gather his thoughts and be clear in his mind which incident is being talked about before facing the camera. The referee then comes out and explains the decisions. As long as it is respectful questioning I see no issues with it. Might be a long time coming though as referees will need to do extensive media training first... :D

My issue with this is, what happens the week a ref has to come out and say they got it wrong. Its human nature that errors occur. But then his next game all he'll get is 'well you got it wrong last week'. I just think it opens up a can of worms.

I don't know if you have noticed but us refs are a tough breed. You have to develop thick skin or you would just knock it on the head. :)

At that high a level, they have to go through trial by tv (both publicly via Sky or MOTD or their own assessment processes) anyway in dissecting their performance so I cannot imagine they would care one jot what a player would say.

Last edited:

In one of the England friendlies in America leading up to the world cup the referee made an appearance on TV to explain his decision to postpone the match due to a lightning storm. None of the presenters would have a go at them so the referees would be given a good opportunity to explain why certain decisions were made.

In one of the England friendlies in America leading up to the world cup the referee made an appearance on TV to explain his decision to postpone the match due to a lightning storm. None of the presenters would have a go at them so the referees would be given a good opportunity to explain why certain decisions were made.

That interview will be remembered by me for how excited Adrian Chiles got because he was speaking to an ACTUAL REFEREE!

Back