A&H

What level of play??

Rye87Ref

Level 7 Referee
Just curious as to what level/league it is where you as a referee are obviously told (urged) to not send off for OFFINABUS and to try and not caution for dissent where possible. which they obviously see as cheap cards?

We have all seen week in week out players in the Premier League (to be fair, more PL games are shown than any other) abusing referees & assistants, which always shows the same reaction of the referee to be a turn around and a sprint away.

I totally understand the argument that people are there to see 22 players and pay good money to do so, but does that give every player/manager the right to speak to officials in any way they see fit??

The initial question may sound a bit sarcastic, however I am convinced that at some point of the league ladder there must be a point at which the powers that be do not want to see cards for Dissent/Offinabus.

As we all know, when we are at the relatively lowly levels of the game, being assessed and you are subject to dissent, the assessor will want to know why you did not deal with it, if you chose not to do so for whatever reason. The same applies to Offinabus.

The Referee Store
There is no point at which you're told not to deal with dissent. If you're getting a lot of dissent. Then there has to be a route cause.

The route cause is usually the referee. Missing things which everyone else can see because of his/her positioning can be a major factor. With self analysis and development you can get to the route cause and pretty much stop the majority of it.

If it is public, personal or persistent, you have to deal with it and can't ignore it as it will impact on your Match control.

There is no point at which you're told not to deal with dissent. If you're getting a lot of dissent. Then there has to be a route cause.

The route cause is usually the referee. Missing things which everyone else can see because of his/her positioning can be a major factor. With self analysis and development you can get to the route cause and pretty much stop the majority of it.

If it is public, personal or persistent, you have to deal with it and can't ignore it as it will impact on your Match control.

I understand fully what you are saying and agree with it totally at 'our level'

However, what I was getting at it is the fact that there is no denying that referees in the Premier League & Football league level are soft (for want of a better word) when it comes to both dissent and Offinabus.

I am intrugued as to the reason for this. These are the guys at the very top of our game, which means they are unlikely to be getting things so wrong regards bad poitioning etc.

I tried to manage a game recently by being leanient with my cautiouns for lip and totally lost control of both sides basically if I didn't agree with what they said I was wrong and heard about it with mouth and verbals. Next game went back to my normal way and after the first yellow card for lip I had no more. For me I give what I see and if they don't like it, I'm willing to listen if approached in a normal way. Tell me I'm blind or other remarks or shout at me and I'll caution and remind them of the respect code of conduct. Control restored. We don't tell them about their poor touch or bad pass or for missing an open goal so why should they talk to us in a way that is disrespectful. And that is what prem refs fail to do and unfortunately it filters down to Sunday Legue... Well not on my pitch lol

2928543-524906464-Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

However......it begins when you start getting advice about "managing" situations........normally those involving dissent or OFFINABUS.....this can occur at any level of football, normally rears its head when you start seeking promotion to Lvl 5 or above.......or if you get marked as a "promising young referee".

All designed to prepare you for totally abandoning your principles and ready to selectively apply the LOTG in order to teams/clubs happy as opposed to doing what you are actually supposed to be doing i.e. applying the LOTG fairly and consistently.

Back