A&H

Open Age What is Your Worst Mistake in a Match ?

No the other assistant would not have been marked down.
The referee should have noticed, but as a linesman its really your responsibility.
Had the referee had noticed he would probably be marked UP.
Correct on the final point - he'd have been marked up for AOL/MC. The other AR was given a very low mark too, although not specifically for this incident.
Ultimately, offside calls are responsibility of AR, in aid & guidance to the referee.

I got marked down for the decision, as did the ref (he gave it, wrong in law and resulted in bad MC)

Probably didn't help that this assessor is well known in these parts for hammering officials and consistently gives very low marks!!

The Referee Store
In a football game, putting my arm up to count the 4 seconds on the keeper control. Oops, not a futsal game ....

Callum it was spoken about afterwards even though I took the full rap for it , we had words in the changing room , very poor from both of us

Correct on the final point - he'd have been marked up for AOL/MC. The other AR was given a very low mark too, although not specifically for this incident.
Ultimately, offside calls are responsibility of AR, in aid & guidance to the referee.

I got marked down for the decision, as did the ref (he gave it, wrong in law and resulted in bad MC)

Probably didn't help that this assessor is well known in these parts for hammering officials and consistently gives very low marks!!
Dan,
If the Assessor did "tear you a new one", then he was at fault. Our role is to independently assess your performance - highlighting strengths and weaknesses. There is never the need to heavily criticise officials when they know they have made the mistake - that will come though in the report and mark.
The most important point would be how do you stop it ever happening again....

Dan,
If the Assessor did "tear you a new one", then he was at fault. Our role is to independently assess your performance - highlighting strengths and weaknesses. There is never the need to heavily criticise officials when they know they have made the mistake - that will come though in the report and mark.
The most important point would be how do you stop it ever happening again....
Unfortunately Lincs, I've met far too many assessors who are more interested in themselves than to aid referees. I got my L4 at 20 y/of and can count on one hand the amount of assessors, both when AR and a middle, who I can say genuinely helped me with positive advice. Don't know what it's like where you are, or even what you're like as an assessor, but I hope it's different to down here!

This particular assessor is renowned for being the past egotistical individual around. Will spend the majority of prematch time talking about himself and his past successes.

The funny thing is, I only made one mistake in the entire game. Was involved in 2/3 KMI's (got them right) and the report read as a superb assessment with one major error (wrong in law for first decision of the game). Sent the report, minus the error, mark & asssessor's name, to a friend of mine and asked for a rough mark. He said 76 (as did others who I showed it to) but it came out as a 66. All my "strengths" were 7/7.5 with my AOD were 5.5/6!!!

@DanCohen17 - this assessor sounds like a "k**b", just the old thinking person more concerned with you refereeing to their standards and not to FA current thinking...
Unfortunately, there are not enough supply assessors to tell these people that their time is up and retire. Until then, they will upset young promising referees with out dated thinking.

As AR - ball over the line for a goal? I said no, Mrs PP said the goal net moved - this was said in the bar afterwards - very helpful!

As ref - think you can tell sometimes by player/fan reaction if you've got one wrong.

Pretty sure everyone was correct when they said that GK had wrestled attacker to the ground (happened a couple of months ago), but I was unsighted so couldn't give it.
I count that as a "mistake" because I should have been in better position ("wider" if you like)

Back