A&H

What is an acceptable length of time for a delayed kick off?

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Had an u14 game today. Was due to start at 1, so I arrived just before 12:30. Upon arrival I was told the nets were padlocked up and the guy who had the key would be arriving about 1:15 so the kick off would be delayed. In the end the chap didnt turn up till about 2, so we kicked off around 2:05. The game ended up being rubbish as the boys heads had gone, they were tired from having kick abouts waiting for the game to start, they were hungry. It pretty much made for a poor game.

I was literally about to leave as had a family event I needed to get to and the hour delay made it pretty tight timing to get to that. So I was wondering is there a point where you'd have a cut off point when a delay becomes too long.

The Referee Store
Start the game without nets?
LOTG allows it.

Now this will be tricky to explain! But the nets were attached, the bottom on the nets had metal bars on to weigh them down. However, they were padlocked up, so the bottom weights were around head height. I'm not fully sure why they have locked up like that. I would have started the game, the only issue being the heavy metal weight poles were hanging at head height. So you know someone would have ended up running into the goal and smashing themselves in the face. So kicking off wasnt an option.

@Joseph Proietti although I see your point this was one of these occasions when there was literally one person with the key to sort the issue out.

@DaveMac I understand why you waited. I just set a time in my head on the first occasion this happened to me and have stuck to it to keep the consistency. If its a small problem ot will be more than likely sorted out in 10 minutes.

KO +30.

Unless there is a good reason. League has fines for upto 15, upto 30 or over 30 mins so no need to hang on and drag things out.

Overriding issue though is communication - whats the problem, can it be overcome, yes - do it; no - well don't then.

If I can get to the ground an hour before KO, there's no reason you cant get 8 there for KO, and have any stragggles named on your TS so of they do turn up at least they can play.

Maybe the perils of ref turning up without adequate time to find solutions to the inevitable pre match issues that althought we dont cause them, we are somerhow expected to fix.

Competition rules should stipulate this. No way would I be waiting an hour. Maybe half an hour if I was being particularly generous, but I'd only go past the timeframe stipulated by rules if both teams agreed.

I'd be walking at a stipulated time. If KO was 1pm and they said the chap would arrive at 1.15pm, I'd be saying ok, KO is delayed to 1.30pm.

If the guy was nowhere to be seen at 1.30pm, I'd be picking up my things and going. You'll get the full match fee and you'll get to your family event on time. For U14 football, one of the parents can ref if they really want to get the game going.

In France :

Refs must be there 1h before KO, yes even at the poorest level
Why ? Because all issues with the FOP must be identified 45mn before KO
After that, we are only allowed to delay the KO of 15mn for any issue, from missing corner flags to visitor team arriving late

Back