A&H

What is a wall?

There is nothing about gaps being a huge leap, it’s simple and basic understanding. A group of 3 or more stood together is a wall. Defenders stood apart are not a wall.

As I said before, I am in the camp that think the laws don't need to define a wall as any attempt will create more confusion that clarifying it. Lets say what you have said would be the definition. What is stood together? Do they have to touch each other? Does a one yard distance mean they are 'apart' (how about half a yard or two yards)? How do you measure the distance? which body parts count or don't count? Can they spread their arms or their feet wide apart to make the total coverage of keeping opponents away bigger?

The Referee Store
I’ve always been unsure about this law. We often see the attacking team making a wall of their own to block the keepers view, but what if they were to be proactive and make the wall 10 yards away before the defending team make theirs? Are they forced to move if the defending side make their wall right behind them?
Well a simple process.
  • Attackers form a wall at 10 yards.
  • Defender form a wall at 10.5 yards (they can because it is at least 10 yards away and they don't have to be at least 1 yard from attackers).
  • Attackers now have to be 1 yard away so they go to 9.5 yards.
  • Defenders now move to 10 yards because that area is not occupied by attackers.
  • Attacker have to go to 9 yards or 11 yard.
Problem solved. Nothing like a bullet point process :) but off course you can avoid the lengthy process by asking the attackers to move away from the 10 yard spot.

Reactions: Kes
What if an attacker is 1 metre away from the wall and just before the free kick is taken, the wall moves to within 1 metre of the attacker? Technically, the attacker commits an offence even though it's the wall which moves towards the attacker.

What if an attacker is 1 metre away from the wall and just before the free kick is taken, the wall moves to within 1 metre of the attacker? Technically, the attacker commits an offence even though it's the wall which moves towards the attacker.
What does football expect?

Reactions: Kes
Look at why this law was put in place and you shall have your answer.

That's why I made this thread. its a well-meaning law full of holes and technicalities.
Now, now, how could that be? IFAB is excellent at clear writing. :rolleyes:

Sure, it's poorly written. But I don't see a real world problem here. This is one of those things that we shouldn't be looking for as refs--we should be calling it when it reaches out and grabs us in a blatant way that is causing a problem. Think of it as a tool, not a test question.

Look at why this law was put in place and you shall have your answer.
I need not do that because an answer is already provided within the laws itself. I must* apply the law as it is written.

*Of course, I don't do this because some laws are silly like the scenario I mentioned earlier.

Back