A&H

What do you use your 2nd watch for?

The Referee Store
Was planning to use it for continuous time when I start the season here (with apple watch running RefSix for stoppage time). However, have learnt that all leagues employ the practice of:
No added time unless it is the final game to be played on the field that day.

Do you use it for counting another 45? Keeping stoppages or anything else?
I use the second watch to make sure we KO on time, to note the KO time and to time the HT interval
My main GPS multi-function watch is a computer and has therefore been known to crash (rarely)
No added time unless it is the final game to be played on the field that day
That's contrary to the LOTG :confused:

That's contrary to the LOTG :confused:

Just to clarify exactly what the competition regulations say:

4.1.3. The allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the Match Official and can only be applied to the last fixture of the day or as directed by CF. Allowance may be made in either half for all time lost through:
a) Interchange
b) Assessment of injury to players
c) Removal of injured players from the field of play for treatment
d) Wasting time
e) Any other cause.
4.1.4. No allowance for time lost can be added to JL except to extend time for the taking of a penalty kick at the end of each half.

Apple Watch, so usually Netflix

;)

Second watch I use as time of day (for kick-off), then run 0-45+ without touching it, reset to time half-time, then again 0-45+ for second half.

Last edited:
I have a spintso as my primary watch so that keeps track of stoppages etc.

I use my GPS as my second watch, I use it to count 45 (or however long the half lasts). And start it again from 0 for the second half.

Just to clarify exactly what the competition regulations say:

4.1.3. The allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the Match Official
The comp regulation is wrong (not in accordance with the lotg) . But if it's grassroots or youth, just follow it. It's the only way some of these comps can work.

My second watch is just backup. Only had to use it once.

GPS as first watch.

Normal watch for second. This is the one I use to pause time for subs or excessive delays. Then I can usually compare the two at half time.

If I forget to restart the second watch, the GPS one bails me out. In the event there is an excessive amount of time added on, then I reset the GPS watch for 0-45, otherwise things get messy.

Seems to work well enough for me.

It’s there in case my Apple Watch decides to throw a wobbly

I start them both off counting up then don't touch either of them until the end of the half. If there's a significant stoppage I time it, other stoppages are guesstimated.

the main reason for a 2nd watch is in case, your main watch dies, you stop and forget to restart it, thinks like that

Spintso is my backup for the occasionally unstable refsix/Apple Watch combination. I set it all up as if it’s my primary, just incase.

I think I'm a dinosaur, I have 2 basic Casio watches and I start them both and stop them both if needed to do so ( injury or time wasting) when it hits 45 or whatever duration is I blow for time.

Those tenner in Argos Casio watches are great. Still use them and always have. Had a fancy Adidas "referee" watch once, but battery didn't last as long, was big and clunky, and had too much stuff I didn't need it to do meaning fumbling with gloves on in the pissing rain I didn't pause for an injury stoppage, but I could tell you the time in Addis Ababa.

Back