A&H

What constitutes unplayable?

DanRicketts

Level 7 Referee
Looking at the FOP before my game today, it was wet and a bit squelchy with not a huge amount of bounce but I realised that I didn't really know what surfaces would be easily sellable as unplayable? When it's wet (not frozen), what do you look for?

The Referee Store
Is there pools of water? Does the ball still move through the water? Can you run through it no problem? Would ut be dangerous if someone was down in the water. Surface water on top of the pitch can be ok. Pools of it in squelchy areas is not.

Do you have to swim from the changing room to the centre circle... :)

On top of what dazz said, you are looking for mud. Surface mud is fine, deep thick mud which is difficult to run through is likely to cause an injury. I learnt this the hard way and did a hamstring sprinting through a treacle like mud puddle. :)

Bounce and roll of the ball - does it bounce? Does it roll freely and un impeeded (ie would a pass have a chance of making it to where it was intended).

Do your feet sink in thus making it easy to twist your ankle, to run stop turn and push of again. Try running at speed through a "patch" does it put you off stride or feel like losing footing.

It might b "just OK" now but how will it be in 70 mins after being cut up, mushed and potentially rained on again.

If the player can not control their slide tackle due excessive slipping, could they pose additional risk to the other person or themselves?

And finally - if the worst happens, and someone is gunning at you over an injured player, questioning uou asks you "did you honestly beloive that this pitch was safe to play on?", can you answer unequiviqually "yes".

I hated my pitch today. It was described as heavy by lots of people and I still don't know what they mean by that.

I've been told that you need to see if the ball rolls.

Unfortunately, the ball rolled fine today. Couldn't sprint properly as I knew I'd fall over and my boot got stuck momentarily on occasions.

That was my thought, the dodgy patch was in the centre circle, bounce was non existent but rolled fine. As it was u10s I thought they would be less damaging to the surface but a few times I felt unsteady on it. Played ok but was right on the limit of what I would deem playable.

Each FIFA Competiton has its own regulation and the subject of unplayable pitch is widely discussed. Before the start of a match, FIFA match commissioner with the match referee, AR and Fourth Official will inspect the pitch and determine whether the pitch is playable. If a pitch is declared unplayable, the match is abandoned. Some regulations NOT related to the question:
1. Protests regarding the state of the pitch, its surroundings, markings or accessory items (e.g. goals,flag posts or footballs) shall be made in writing to the referee before the start of the match by the head of delegation of the team lodging the protest. If the pitch’s playing surface becomes unplayable during a match, the captain of the protesting team shall immediately lodge a protest with the referee in the presence of the captain of the opposing team.
2. If a stadium has a retractable roof, the FIFA match commissioner, in consultation with the referee and the two teams’ officials, shall decide before the match whether the roof shall be open or closed during the match. This decision must be announced at the organisational meeting on the morning of the match, although it may subsequently be modified prior to kick-off in theevent of sudden and significant weather condition changes. If a match starts with the roof closed, it shall remain closed for the entire match. If the match
starts with the roof open and there is a serious deterioration in the weather conditions, only the referee has the authority to order its closure during the match. In such an event, the roof is to remain closed until the end of the match.

Last edited:
That's not answered the question, as I see it. Asking what do FIFA officials do if you turn up to a game and the pitch is claggy, todgy or sluggish.

Not complaints from the teams, but fro you as the referee, what do you do, and if it starts cutting up during the game and becomes as such.....

PS - I think your footer is inappropriatly worded for a majoritivly UK forum - calling anyone stupid is not, advisable? But this might be an interpretation of the phrase on my part.

That's not answered the question, as I see it. Asking what do FIFA officials do if you turn up to a game and the pitch is claggy, todgy or sluggish.

Not complaints from the teams, but fro you as the referee, what do you do, and if it starts cutting up during the game and becomes as such.....

PS - I think your footer is inappropriatly worded for a majoritivly UK forum - calling anyone stupid is not, advisable? But this might be an interpretation of the phrase on my part.

No youre quite right, its just offensive.

Mmmm, irrelevant to ask the FIFA question - the standard and requirements of the facilities and players are polar opposites.

For me it's pretty simple : -
Is the pitch likely to cause injury to a player?
Will it have an undue effect on the result or outcome of the game?
Will it still be in a playable condition at the start of the second half?
Is the condition of the pitch consistent across it, and if no how much worse are the bad bits, what areas do they cover?

I don't think this is that difficult in the respect that if you shouldn't be playing it would be obvious, if it's 50-50 it's the referees decision and you would get a different interpretation from every person you asked.

Back