A&H

What a baptism on fire!

Bantam Ron

Level 7 Referee
Evening Refs

Had to join the forum for support after reffing my first (paid) game today. Was an u13 game & all was going well with yellows 1-0 up early in 2nd half. Then yellows returned a half cleared corner that seemed to sneak in under the crossbar. All parents were jubilant but the ball rolled down the back of the net & gently came to rest 2 yards behind the goal. I was in a good position & initially thought it was a goal but I've been at many games where the ball appears to hit the goal but has in fact hit the top of the net and gently rolled down the back. I checked for obvious holes and, not been certain, gave a deadball. Wow the reaction!

My mind was now in a bit of a state. 3 minutes later yellows shoot....1966 with no Russian linesman. It looked more in than out but couldn't be sure so play on. It was 70 degrees in Bradford but my head was a furnace. Was this some sort of joke?

Blues equalise with a great goal that was just onside despite everyone in yellow calling offside.

After the game 3 or 4 spectators came over to comiserate with me & point to a hole in the net!! Is it always like this?

Ron.

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
Welcome to the forum Ron.

To answer your question, no it is not always like this. Sometimes it is raining :D

You did right, if you don't think the ball has fully crossed the line (or gone in at all), no goal. Sods law that blue then score and equalise. Welcome to the ironic world of football refereeing!!

Welcome to the forum!

You'll get all sorts of weird and wonderful things happen in games and you'll always look back on them with the benefit of hindsight.

One question, did you do a pitch infection prior to the game? If so, how come you didn't notice the hole in the net? (Not judging here, just curious)

.........I will next time!!!

This incident aside, doing a pitch inspection is the most important thing to do.
If you don't do it, for example a player gets injured due to something that would be reasonable for you to have noticed when doing the inspection, then you could end up in trouble.

Ron
welcome to the mad house of refereeing iam sure you will check everything next time ;)

Back