A&H

What’s your Ref routine?

can I ask respectfully, how you handle a injury (or ball burst or some other unexpected stoppage) where the player is down for an extended period, and, say its 2-1 in a cup tie or even a league game, and for arguements sake, 5/6/7 mins should be added on
do you stop on the 90/80 whatever, because you have another game????
No I never said I don't add on extra time. I do add on extra time if there is any to add on.

The Referee Store
Ok but am asking with, say, 10 mins to spare between games, how are you going to add on, even 7/8 mins and still be at the next game and good for kick off?
Then the second game is delayed in its KO time the two games are always with the same club and so I let the managers know hey I have a game after yours and hey I've got a game right before yours so they don't mind waiting because at least they have a ref.

Then the second game is delayed in its KO time the two games are always with the same club and so I let the managers know hey I have a game after yours and hey I've got a game right before yours so they don't mind waiting because at least they have a ref.
Obviously if it was 2 games of different clubs I would allow for travelling time ie take a game at 10, 12 and 1 30 rather than straight after each other

I understand that logic
Its still (imo) not acceptable to delay the kick off of a second game because of the over running of a first game.
it might not matter in the grand scale of things at that level or stage in your career but its good to get into a prim and proper routine early, and maintain it

you also need toilet, rehydrate, check 2nd park, equip, and so on......

fail to prepare.....prepare to fail......is a well used and 100% accurate saying, might only be me, but do things proficiently from day one, it see's you in fine fettle for things to come

can I ask respectfully, how you handle a injury (or ball burst or some other unexpected stoppage) where the player is down for an extended period, and, say its 2-1 in a cup tie or even a league game, and for arguements sake, 5/6/7 mins should be added on
do you stop on the 90/80 whatever, because you have another game????

Several times a year I'll do one game after another on the same pitch or the one next to it. Get there in time to inspect both. At the end of the game if there's a delay then there's a delay, everyone understands and If there has been a delay then I'll finish one game and tell the other managers to give me their team sheets and 2 mins to have a drink etc and we'll be away. There's never any issue and at grass roots the most important thing is the game itself and the 2nd game I do are just grateful that I've stopped on otherwise they'd have no ref. A bit of common sense is all that required in these situations.

I've also been asked my managers after my game if I'd be willing to stop on as their ref hasn't showed up. "Yeah just get me your team sheets and give me a couple of mins for a drink and I'll be with you". On with the game.

Depending on your travel to the ground,, it's always good to give yourself that extra time in case something happens on route to a game as well. Last thing you want is to be aiming to arrive at a match 10/15 minutes before KO but find yourself stuck at some temporary roadworks etc

I had a step 5 game in which we get told as assistant no later than an hour before.
I always aim for 90 mins (in fact I'm leaving now for my game this afternoon as its literally walking distance) though.
One game I left at a time that sat nav said I'd arrive 1:15ish. I arrived 2:40 for a 3pm kick off. After I set off, an accident on M25 caused me to be stuck in traffic.
Never been in a panic or rush before for a game.
Was in constant communication with the main official though which he was very pleased with.

I am someone who hates being late.

It’s always worth having a quick walk round the pitch to see if there’s anything obvious, like holes in the pitch in the penalty area where players could trip over.
In the past I’ve found home made goals made out of scaffolding poles, which were not anchored and weighed a ton. They would have killed someone if they’d fallen over. That game didn’t take place, because I considered the risk of serious injury too high.
I have also found broken glass stuck into the ground on a rec pitch. It was obviously done on purpose to hurt people, and anyone sliding across it would have cut their legs to ribbons. If I hadn’t seen it and a player was seriously injured he could have claimed negligence on my part but as long as I was seen inspecting I could not be held liable. You can’t possibly see everything. If I hadn’t walked the pitch he could have claimed it was my fault because I could possibly have seen it but hadn’t bothered checking and he was hurt as a result.

Il do three games of a Sunday usually supposed to be 0900, 1015 and 1130 KO they always over run.

We used to do two games but shortage of refs has meant they're asking us to do three, literally two minutes in between games, the 0900 KO HT 0935, Second Half 0940 finish 1015 thats without stoppages, you might be a decent walk away from changing rooms when you need to use toilet and get a drink in between so usually 1030 by the time the second game is kicking off and 1150 for the third one.

Il do three games of a Sunday usually supposed to be 0900, 1015 and 1130 KO they always over run.

We used to do two games but shortage of refs has meant they're asking us to do three, literally two minutes in between games, the 0900 KO HT 0935, Second Half 0940 finish 1015 thats without stoppages, you might be a decent walk away from changing rooms when you need to use toilet and get a drink in between so usually 1030 by the time the second game is kicking off and 1150 for the third one.
We have a competition 'guideline' that if a game kicks off late you shorten the hlaves if needed for the following game to kick off on time (there is a 75% limit). Otherwise the last game on many fields runs into dark on short days (mid season) or when cloudy.
Our times are very similar with two OA games at 1 and 3 pm. The 3 pm games must always kick off on time.

We have a competition 'guideline' that if a game kicks off late you shorten the hlaves if needed for the following game to kick off on time (there is a 75% limit). Otherwise the last game on many fields runs into dark on short days (mid season) or when cloudy.
Our times are very similar with two OA games at 1 and 3 pm. The 3 pm games must always kick off on time.

The South Manchester Sunday league I used to play in had a similar rule but for 10.45am kick offs. If you were delayed for any reason (including the ref being late!) Then each half was shortened accordingly. Minimum time was an hour, which happened to us once because the away team mini bus broke down. No idea why that rule was in place but that's what it was

The South Manchester Sunday league I used to play in had a similar rule but for 10.45am kick offs. If you were delayed for any reason (including the ref being late!) Then each half was shortened accordingly. Minimum time was an hour, which happened to us once because the away team mini bus broke down. No idea why that rule was in place but that's what it was
Its a strange one given that the laws allow for a reduction in half length so long as mutually agreed by the two captains before start so isnt something, I think, needs meddling with by competitions.

Its a strange one given that the laws allow for a reduction in half length so long as mutually agreed by the two captains before start so isnt something, I think, needs meddling with by competitions.

Agreed. From a players perspective, turning up for a 30 min match left you feeling short changed and the subs would often suffer more than most with reduced match times (this was before rolling subs).

Totally. Show up early, dressed to impress, ready to run and ready to run. Not sure why a couple of brandies, as referred to earlier is any different. Are you on the right forum?

Totally. Show up early, dressed to impress, ready to run and ready to run. Not sure why a couple of brandies, as referred to earlier is any different. Are you on the right forum?
I think any1 talking about pre match brandy was joking.. and just so we are clear, Mary Jane in England is Marijuana in America... a strange pre-match ritual don't you think? :confused:

Back