A&H

West Ham v Utd

I've yet to understand the argument as to why anticipating what was in the end, an actual foul according to the criteria laid down in the law, is justification for negating the foul itself.

That's the first bit of contact I can see, and CR's already practically perpendicular
Again, I can't find anything in the law that suggests the body position of the fouled player when contact occurred, precludes the possibility of a foul having been committed.

The Referee Store
I've yet to understand the argument as to why anticipating what was in the end, an actual foul according to the criteria laid down in the law, is justification for negating the foul itself.
The only possible foul I can see in this circumstance is carelessly tackling/challenging the opponent (obviously hasn't been tripped seeing as he chose to fall down before any contact was made, and it can't be a kick as the contact isn't with the foot/ankle). But which happens first - the foul or the dive? At which point exactly does the tackle become a foul? With a kick/trip/strike you have a very clear mark at which it becomes a foul - the point of contact. It's a much grayer area for me with this. As I said earlier in this thread, this isn't a situation where the attacker has had to take evasive action to avoid getting hurt by a dangerous tackle - he has seen the defender sliding in in front of him, and he has pretended that he has been tripped to try and win a penalty. Why should he be rewarded for that behaviour?

Again, I can't find anything in the law that suggests the body position of the fouled player when contact occurred, precludes the possibility of a foul having been committed.

Ordinarily I would say the act of simulation happened before any contact, but as he wasn't cautioned that simulation officially didn't happen. That said, I'm still not giving a penalty when someone is horizonal when contact actually happens as to do so would reward blatant cheating.

I understand that the PR guys say that number 1 should have been given as a penalty.

I'm inclined to agree, I think you can make the case for all three being penalty offences, though personally I'd only be giving it for the first and maybe the third.

AR did not help signalling for a corner. That's his credible area to get involved..
Agree it was blatant.

AR had a shocker there really, I don't buy into any theories that pre VAR the assistant would be flagging, I just guess he thought the cross was too close to Shaws arm and he could not move it away on time?

One thing that has confused me, if the handball was deliberate, why no yellow card? I'm surprised he wasn't booked personally.

Shaws handball was a definite pen, as was the AWB foul on Souceck.

I also think the first and third Ronaldo appeals were pens. Second one, not in a million years

AR had a shocker there really, I don't buy into any theories that pre VAR the assistant would be flagging, I just guess he thought the cross was too close to Shaws arm and he could not move it away on time?

One thing that has confused me, if the handball was deliberate, why no yellow card? I'm surprised he wasn't booked personally.
Only situations when a handball would be a caution are interfering with/stopping a promising attack, attempting to score, or unsuccessfully attempting to stop a goal. Just because it's deliberate doesn't mean it's a caution.

Only situations when a handball would be a caution are interfering with/stopping a promising attack, attempting to score, or unsuccessfully attempting to stop a goal. Just because it's deliberate doesn't mean it's a caution.
Had this exact thing happen in my game a few weeks ago. Opposition team not happy with no booking, had to explain this very thing

Had this exact thing happen in my game a few weeks ago. Opposition team not happy with no booking, had to explain this very thing
I will confess that the more calculated a HB is the more likely I am to conclude there must have been a promising attack or he wouldn't have done it . . .

(No, that's not turning black into white, but it definitely helps resolve shades of gray.)

Back