A&H

West Brom- Brentford

dbo5ton

Level 4 Referee
Can someone please clarify about the throw in on the build up to Brentfords goal, I saw it and thought foul throw, but speaking to other referees it brought up the debate , is it???
The LOTG doesn't seem to say what direction the ball must be released from so as long as its from behind head and over in one motion it could be thrown to the floor of the taker (who cant touch it)
Please advise

The Referee Store
That's an interesting one. I'm inclined to say foul throw, but the rule says 'throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head', but doesn't state where the ball actually has to be released. If it starts from behind the head and is thrown in one swift motion, that seems correct by the wording of the law

A passing word for me. It has to be a bit more obvious than that for me to indicate foul throw

I have that once every few games. "Foul throw ref". Me: other that it being an ugly throw, there was nothing wrong with it.

Having said that, if it's done in a much slower speed than that, I'd call it a drop, not a throw and pull it up.

Back