A&H

Well, that was disappointing.......

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
I Refereed in a two day tournament the other week including myself there were 15 referees. Nine of them i guess were about 15-17 ish.
Whilst the quarter/semi/final teams were being worked out ( on second day) we the referees had half an hour to have eats and drinks.
Forty-five minutes later the referee organiser came in and said we need a referee to do the first quarter final and another referee to do the second quarter final..... and not one of the nine 15-17yr olds moved a muscle or say anything, i hesitated as i thought the prospect of a quarter final match would give them much experience, but not one of them said anything, so myself and another (oldies) said we would referee the matches. There was no enthusiasm, there was nothing, so disappointing.... i even had to give a referee a pencil to write with (sigh) .......

The Referee Store
I Refereed in a two day tournament the other week including myself there were 15 referees. Nine of them i guess were about 15-17 ish.
Whilst the quarter/semi/final teams were being worked out ( on second day) we the referees had half an hour to have eats and drinks.
Forty-five minutes later the referee organiser came in and said we need a referee to do the first quarter final and another referee to do the second quarter final..... and not one of the nine 15-17yr olds moved a muscle or say anything, i hesitated as i thought the prospect of a quarter final match would give them much experience, but not one of them said anything, so myself and another (oldies) said we would referee the matches. There was no enthusiasm, there was nothing, so disappointing.... i even had to give a referee a pencil to write with (sigh) .......

I understand where you're coming from Mike, but best not to judge mate. ;)

You seem to be suggesting it was apathy or just laziness that prevented any of these youngsters volunteering (?) but confidence in your own ability and the fear of being judged by spectators and peers in an important "knockout phase (?)" match are key ingredients when it comes to putting yourself out there at age 15 or 16. Everybody finds their own level at their own pace. At least they were out there giving it a go at some point during the day. ;) :)

What age group(s) are we talking here by the way? :)

I understand where you're coming from Mike, but best not to judge mate. ;)

You seem to be suggesting it was apathy or just laziness that prevented any of these youngsters volunteering (?) but confidence in your own ability and the fear of being judged by spectators and peers in an important "knockout phase (?)" match are key ingredients when it comes to putting yourself out there at age 15 or 16. Everybody finds their own level at their own pace. At least they were out there giving it a go at some point during the day. ;) :)
I agree.... i don't think it was just laziness, just no confidence, i don't know their experience/how long they been refereeing and i'm not going on a crusade, i was prepared to step back and let them do the quarter/semi/or even finals ( after all it was a 2 day event and we all got paid the same) myself and another ref was asked to do the 2 finals as all the other ref's were going home ?????? ah well .... And yes games should be allocated and not asked who wanted to do what....

What age group(s) are we talking here by the way? :)

15-17 year olds with half a dozen adults in the room - perhaps they were just looking to one of the older officials to lead the way in the decision?

Used to do these, but not any more - always a "variable" experience!

Problem is some referees are just there for the money - and as all officials usually get paid the same, some are , shall we say, less than enthusiastic abut doing their fair share.

I was stuck at a tournament once where there was a row about the eligibility of a player that very nearly escalated into physical violence between the coaches, resulted in a match being replayed while about half a dozen of us refs were ordered to watch the match as minders in case things kicked off again - not a great surprise to you all when I say this was a youth tournament! - ended up a long day that one.

I've also been "reported" to the tournament organisers of another one after an someone scored shortly after a drop ball - U9s that one!

I just concentrate on pre season R & R in the summer now!:cool:

Used to do these, but not any more - always a "variable" experience!

Problem is some referees are just there for the money - and as all officials usually get paid the same, some are , shall we say, less than enthusiastic abut doing their fair share.

I was stuck at a tournament once where there was a row about the eligibility of a player that very nearly escalated into physical violence between the coaches, resulted in a match being replayed while about half a dozen of us refs were ordered to watch the match as minders in case things kicked off again - not a great surprise to you all when I say this was a youth tournament! - ended up a long day that one.

I've also been "reported" to the tournament organisers of another one after an someone scored shortly after a drop ball - U9s that one!

I just concentrate on pre season R & R in the summer now!:cool:
Tis' true not one of these young ref's wanted to do a quarter/semi/or final they were offered them but said no took their money and went. I only normally do the Blackpool tournament in april/may it is very well run and well organised all refs are given matches and you get paid per game ......

Tis' true not one of these young ref's wanted to do a quarter/semi/or final they were offered them but said no took their money and went. I only normally do the Blackpool tournament in april/may it is very well run and well organised all refs are given matches and you get paid per game ......

"Paid per game"- that would guarantee more enthusiasm thats for sure!

Reactions: SM
Did the referee's organiser not assign referees to age groups/pitches then?

Did a 2 day u7-14s tournament recently, odds on Saturday, evens on Sunday. Generally well organised although could have done a couple of extra spare floating referees on the Saturday to help reduce the workload (not helped by one young referee leaving early due to getting abuse at u7s!), head ref for the weekend assigned referees to a pitch and one age group would play on that pitch during the day. 2 pitches for u13s on the Saturday, which myself and another referee took charge of. QFs were back to back, 2 on each pitch, with me and the other main u13s ref taking charge of both games on our pitch. We were given a rest for the semis, then flipped a coin for the final, with me getting the dubious honour, which was won with the last kick of the game! :)

Back