A&H

Weird day today

LC

Level 6 Referee
Everything that could of possibly gone wrong off the pitch happened today.

Had two games. The first an U11 Cup semi final and then an U12 Cup semi final

Arrived at the first game slightly later than I would of liked which meant there was absolutely no car parking spaces. After about 10 minutes of searching I found some street parking about 5 minutes away.

I then went to find my pitch. There was about 6 games going on so I went for the one which looked like the youngest age group. The manager approached me and welcomed me so I presumed this was the correct game. About 5 minutes before kick off I asked the manager to confirm that his game was U11. It wasnt. I was at an U12's game. I had to then quickly find the pitch I was supposed to be on which turned out to be around the other side of some trees out of view.

When I eventually found the correct game the managers wanted to get going quite quickly which I agreed to. I was then approached by someone who said he was going to be running the line.....Left my flags in the car.... Thankfully the home manager just happened to have a set with him so I didn't need to sprint back to the car.

Due to a couple of long injury stoppages this match finished a lot later than it should of done. This meant I needed to do rush to my next game. I get there and again no car parking left. I managed to eventually squeeze into a space at the very back of the car park. The rest of that game went without incident until I got back to my car. Someone decided it was a great idea to park in front of my car so I could not get out. After they eventually turned up I was finally able to get home. Get home to find I had lost my 10p which I use to make the toss. ******** :D.

Two very good matches but the rest of the day was an absolute nightmare

The Referee Store
Parking can be a nightmare. I wish clubs would cone off space for match officials. Nothing worse than turning up for your match to then have to go on the hunt for somewhere to park. And I don't advocate using the disabled spaces, even though according to some we're blind...

Can't beat mine yesterday. Game over at maldon prom in essex. I know where it is, bout half an hour drive from me. I still always check the postcode and put it in the satnav as have traffic updates on that which can redirect me if needed. Ends up taking me a reslly backwards way to get there, till I'm a couple of miles away I realise I'm no where near. I'd only put in the postcode for maylandsea prom which is also half an hour from my house but turns out 20 minutes from where I'm meant to be. Turn up five mins before kick off and said I was stuck in traffic! No time to warm up for my back to back games where turns out I covered 20 km over both games. Thanks to that today I'm walking like a cripple!

I have a reminder on my phone for each and every Friday evening - Prepare for weekend games.
Check fixtures, check locations, workout route & check mileage, work out match fee & expenses, write out match card and speak to manager if any doubts.
I hate being late and disorganised on the morning of a game. It can still happen but if you have a routine, your prep work will help you out.

Back