A&H

Wednesday robbed

The Referee Store
Well it wasn't a free kick in the first place. But once given I can't fathom the decision making, the assistant can clearly see that Flint is stood a long way offside doing star jumps in front of the keeper, and the referee can clearly see that Flint is directly between the ball and Dawson.

This will be one that is used in training videos for years to come I suspect.

The AR will know the Law. Therefore, he's not flagged for another reason. It's likely thet reason being that he believes the referee doesn't want a flag on the play. The team of officials have screwed up because of some nonsense to do with the dynamics of the team. Stroud was poor throughout and it was a pitiful decision to award the FK. He must be on a rolling ten year contract

I can’t see the clip but only the first still... looks like the ref is positioned precisely in line with ball and GK. If this is a question about interfering by being directly in the line of sight... is it possible the ref is calling this on comms?

(Most ridiculous law in the book IMHO)

I can’t see the clip but only the first still... looks like the ref is positioned precisely in line with ball and GK. If this is a question about interfering by being directly in the line of sight... is it possible the ref is calling this on comms?

(Most ridiculous law in the book IMHO)
B911BA11-AFBF-417A-8F49-42E582FE4382.jpeg
I don't think you could describe a more blatant offence of this type.....

Last edited:
This is surely the exact scenario that the IFAB and PGMOL came out and said should be penalised as an offside offence, back in 2016.

A statement issued by the Premier League and sent to all clubs, went as follows:
'The Premier League has this week written to its clubs to provide guidance regarding the offside law'.

'The guidance is in relation to players standing in an offside position when a free-kick is taken.

'Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) issued this guidance to clear up misunderstandings that arose following the goal awarded to Manchester United in their FA Cup fifth-round tie against Shrewsbury Town on Monday night.

'PGMOL consulted the International Football Association Board (IFAB) as to whether there was an offside offence or not. As a result the PGMOL guidance below clarifies the situation.

'For the avoidance of doubt, similar scenarios in the future will be expected to be given as offside.'

Can't see the clip either. Where are the offender and the keeper at the moment the ball is kicked?

It's like the GK is the only one with a copy of the LotG...

The other possibility is that Champo officials have been briefed on this and "ducking" was highlighted and is not interfering... I know a champo AR, I'm gonna ask him...

Sometimes I think one of the conditions of becoming a PGMOL referee is forgetting you have to enforce the LOTG so long as you can manage the game.

The other possibility is that Champo officials have been briefed on this and "ducking" was highlighted and is not interfering.
At the time the ball was kicked he was actually up in the air making sure he is blocking the view of the direction of the ball.

This is surely the exact scenario that the IFAB and PGMOL came out and said should be penalised as an offside offence, back in 2016.

A statement issued by the Premier League and sent to all clubs, went as follows:

Yes. Bobby Madley was the referee on that game and he has confirmed that PGMOL said it should have been disallowed. It was a little different as there were three attackers and they were moving out at the time of kick, but I'd say it was less obvious than this one as they weren't directly in the line of sight of the keeper like Flint was.

Back