A&H

Wealdstone FC vs Gosport Borough (Vanarama NLS)

Jack M

Level 6 Referee

Skip to about 9:53 on the video.

Basically the referee gives a FK to Gosport against the Wealdstone striker. The other Wealdstone player carries on the run and kicks the ball away from the GK in order to waste time. The GK then body checks the player who throws himself to the floor. Ref then books the GK, but a lot of supporters wanted a red.

Personally, I think the ref got the booking right for USB but I would have probably booked the "injured" player for Delaying the Restart of Play.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
The attacker has to receive a caution for that. Had the goalkeeper not made contact with him, it'd have been about as obvious a 'delaying the restart' as it gets. The fact that the goalkeeper felt the need to take him out doesn't change that.

My first reaction on the body check was yellow too, but the more I watch it the worse it gets. It's not a tactical foul (the keeper knows his team have been awarded a free kick), he's done it deliberately to take the attacker out. Definitely a case to be made for VC. He also bring his right arm out from his body. Although the arm ends up around the top of the attackers middrift, it could have easily ended up clothes-lining him around the neck. I think it probably should've been red.

Germany v France WC 1982 ring any bells?

@MatthewC - the referee will not be able to see the potential clothesline, it is the camera position that gives us that view - So YC is all he can and should give. I do agree if you had seen the back view (which we saw) then it becomes VC & Red.

@MatthewC - the referee will not be able to see the potential clothesline, it is the camera position that gives us that view - So YC is all he can and should give. I do agree if you had seen the back view (which we saw) then it becomes VC & Red.

Fair shout, can't really argue with that. I guess that's the problem with anything like that occurring not in open play. Had the original foul not been committed, the ref would've been following play, and might have been in a better position to see it.

Good advert for the game in this country, the idiots screaming abuse from the terraces. :)

Agreed very difficult to spot but that that's a red card, can't blame the ref for that. That said though, the situation is not helped by the ref not making decision for what felt like an age, bang out a quick card there and stop both sides acting up.

Attackers makes an absolute meal of the body check.

Orange for me.....could make an argument either way.

But what I don't buy is the idea that is in any way a difficult one to spot.....ref, has 2 NARs and a 4th official.....

Failing to book the attacker is poor as well.

Attackers makes an absolute meal of the body check.

Orange for me.....could make an argument either way.

But what I don't buy is the idea that is in any way a difficult one to spot.....ref, has 2 NARs and a 4th official.....

Failing to book the attacker is poor as well.

There are no 4th officials at that level..

Crikey, think you need a memory refesh if you think this is in the same league as Schumacher's "challenge".

The crowd is a great example of why this country needs forced sterilisation introduced, WHat utter, utter parasites.

Crikey, think you need a memory refesh if you think this is in the same league as Schumacher's "challenge".

The crowd is a great example of why this country needs forced sterilisation introduced, WHat utter, utter parasites.
Deusex - man of the people :p

It's not a red for me. Second yellow for the attacker for feigning injury anyone? :D

Agreed, it is just that it is now 33 years old and the new referee may not have seen it - goalkeepers challenges.
Always worth people seeing the mistakes at the highest level of football - makes our look minor in comparison:D

Yellow for the keeper but issued a damn sight sooner.

Yellow for the guy playing on (if you're the kind of ref who gives yellow for that kind of thing).

A canister of mustard gas for the crowd.

I've officiated on that pitch a couple of times (Women's FA Cup) this season - not as many people there then though - thank goodness!;)

Agreed, it is just that it is now 33 years old and the new referee may not have seen it - goalkeepers challenges.
Always worth people seeing the mistakes at the highest level of football - makes our look minor in comparison:D
From memory the referee restarted with a goal kick

Back