A&H

WBA v ARS

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
Was it a penalty against Chambers?

Looking at one replay, completely the wrong decision; at another one looks like a player gets between Mike Dea and the incident and blocking his view.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I'm leaning towards no. But to be fair, the first time I saw it in real-time, I thought it was a clear handball incident, it looked like he punched the ball away? So I can see why he gave it.

Never. So poor from Mike Dean. Seems to maybe even have apologiesed to AW when he went over to him during the match.

This is a case for VAR. If Dean could see the replay he wouldn’t award the pen and it was clearly a KMI and could be the difference between 5th and 4th at the end of the year.

Not for me, his arm never moved and the ball travelled such a short distance he had no chance to move it out of the way.

Was at the game and it happened approx 40 yds in front of where I was sat......

NEVER EVER a penalty in a million years. God knows what Mike Dean saw.......or even if he did see it. From where I was, it looked like he had little or no view of the incident.
Gibbs didn't appeal for it until the crowd had a shout......

Guess Dean was upset after West Brom were singing "1-0 to the referee" after Arsenal scored!

Oddly enough (because I'm an arsenal fan) I think his hand did in fact move towards the ball. I'm not sure it was a pen but I can see why it was given. What was his arm doing out there?

No way is this a penalty, my first reaction given the distance and the way that the Chambers was tracking Gibbs that in his motion to try and stop himself due to Gibbs slowing up that it is ball to hand and no penalty should be awarded for this incident!

Mike Dean seriously needs to be reviewed, decisions for him are on an all time low!

Reactions: one
No way is this a penalty, my first reaction given the distance and the way that the Chambers was tracking Gibbs that in his motion to try and stop himself due to Gibbs slowing up that it is ball to hand and no penalty should be awarded for this incident!
I would agree - have to say I was a little surprised at the penalty award at first and looking at various replays has not changed my mind but I can see how the movement of Chambers' arm could potentially look like a deliberate movement to block the ball, even though I don't think it was. So although I didn't agree with it, I still wouldn't consider it that ridiculous of a penalty decision.

And the silence from the FA/PGMOL is deafening.......rather than admit what everybody already knows, that the referee got it wrong, they just charge the manager, thus deflecting from the abject performance of a supposedly elite level official.

Neither organisation has any credibility.

And they will publish the reasons why Wenger was found guilty and suspended. Regardless of the badness of the decision, you can't go effing and blinding in the referee's changing room. Of all People Padfoot I thought you would have realised that with your zero tolerance to language?

Of all People Padfoot I thought you would have realised that with your zero tolerance to language?
Ah, but that gets conveniently buried when an opportunity to take a dig at the PGMOL/FA/higher level officials is presented :shifty:;)

Quite the contrary. PGMOL did put out a statement that SkySports and BBC quoted:

"If VAR had been in use, Mike would have made a more informed decision. He would have had the chance to see the reverse angle which shows the Arsenal defender was trying hard not to handle the ball"

The SkySports article can be found here: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...en-more-informed-by-var-admits-premier-league
The use of VAR for decisions like this is ruining the game in A-League (Aus). People are being fed up with lengthy and confusing delays where a reviewed and changed decision is at time worse than the original one. They are trying to fix that now.
Te problem

If VAR was in use in this case and the VAR protocol was used correctly this should not go to VAR even though it was the wrong decision in my opinion. Unless its a clear error, the referee's opinion/decision on the field should stay without going to VAR. They should not go to review for every key decision the VAR disagrees with. An example of a clear error for handball is if it was a pen given but the ball clearly didn't touch the hand/arm, or a blatant deliberate handball which was missed by the referee.

This was a matter of opinion of being deliberate or not, although most referees will consider it not deliberate, it should not go to VAR.

Last edited:
Mike Riley has already said that VAR won't be used for in the opinion of the referee decisions. The example he used was the Zaha penalty against Arsenal, whilst most people thought it was incredibly soft, that wouldn't be changed as it wasn't a clear and obvious error by the referee.

Back