A&H

Watching the ball or the players

Timberdock

Level 9 Referee
I've noticed a few challenges that I may have missed as I have a tendency of watching the ball rather than the players. When the keeper takes a goal kick I tend to watch the ball. I missed a player being elbowed in the back and he had to come off. Just wanted a bit of advice as to the balance between watching the ball and watching the players.

The Referee Store
Its not possible to see everything. So what we do, is try to see as much as possible. Say the goal kick, a punt up the park? the ball whilst 30 yards in the air and travelling 50 60 yards, is not going to cause you any issues, so,your focus is, the drop zone.
Goal kick being punted, just needs a quick glance to see if ball in right place, nit moving etc, then, prioroty shifts to those hungry animals who want the ball.
A wide view looking into the drop zone will help you more than central, looking down barrel of gun.

Refs at elite level dont even watch the ball at set pieces from defence to attack, and sometimes at corners. Using comms, the AR shouts " kick" thus the ref knows ball is in air, leaving referee focussing on the drop zone, exactly where the elbows, pushing, etc goes on,

occasionally if am feeling brave operating alone I still do this, yes I might miss a double touch, yes i might be fooled and its played low and short but if am convinved a high punt into the box is on the way, am sometimes content to watch the drop zone ( i do glance bk to the ball just to reduce possibiity of the aforementioned

for your example of goal kick punt, a view wide looking into the drop zone should allow you optimal view and angle. From central, your example is either missed,or looks like a nudge, side on, you have greater chance to assess the infringment

in short, why watch the ball, its not going to do anything, you need to get into position to see where it is going.

Last edited:
This best way of thinking this - the ball doesn't commit offences, players do.

So unless the ball is near the goal line / touch line, don't worry too much about watching the ball.

Practice watching what players do when watching TV or spectating games.

Also try watching the referee which is a different thing to learn how to move around the ground but it also helps you avoid 'ball watching'.

Just make sure you watch the ball as the goal kick is taken. No matter where you stand, the keeper always seems to aim for the referee!

What you want to try to do is get a position where you can use the "trailing eye"

Basically you're in a position to see in your peripheral vision any naughtiness after the ball has been played and then still able to travel after attention and your physical position to follow the next phase of play.

Back