A&H

Watching football while refereeing

LC

Level 6 Referee
What level is it realistically possible to get to before you have to give up going to watch matches and have to dedicate every weekend to refereeing.

At the moment I watch my team (AFC Telford if your interested) when they are at home and when they are away I will officiate. How far would I be able to go before I would have to stop watching them

The Referee Store
Im not 100% sure but i would say its up to you. (Some are going to give you an actual level I think) but I think this will be my last season as a season card holder at Sunderland. Im 16 in February so can do adult football. Im going to go in to the wearside league and to be honest the way sunderlands playing I would rather dedicate myself to my officiating!!

Technically never. You could watch the "mighty" AFC Telford forever more (there's a karma joke in there somewhere) and get promoted to a high level. The point where you would have yo stop would be where you have to referee Saturday afternoons to go further which depends on county when that happens.

So is there no point when the appointments change from "Can you do this game" to "You ARE doing this game" or would that only happen at very high level?

I'd say if you want to progress, turning down appointments is never good, make sure refs secs. know in advance if you're unavailable.

Fortunately for me I'll be able to watch the mighty Burton for a while longer because the Saturday league is this part of the woods has a terrible reputation so I'd choose the Sunday league instead.

I would say it would start to become more difficult at L4. Your appointments officer will only take a certain amount of closed dates on MOAS for personal reasons before he starts to get annoyed.

So is there no point when the appointments change from "Can you do this game" to "You ARE doing this game" or would that only happen at very high level?

I use to be an appointment secretary, the league was below county level. The appointments have always been you are doing this game, before, during and after my time doing it.

If you didn't close the date, and you were appointed you were expected to do it. I wasn't going to chase referees for every game.

It depends on the context really, and your area. But I would say once you've going for promotion, then you should be planning in advance what games you will watch, close the date, and then leave your open dates for appointments.

Reactions: SM
Apologies I didn't word my question very well. I always close dates when I can't do a game so I am only offered a game if I am available.
I meant at what level do you stop being able to close dates whenever you like and you are expected to officiate every single weekend rather than every 2 or 3 weekends

Liam go and watch Telford whenever you want. As long as you close (tell everybody who might give you a game that you are not available) then you will be ok.Just be aware that if you close too many dates and get a reputation of being unavailable, it will do you no favours if you want to progress up the refereeing ladder.

My 9th year as a villa season ticket holder this year and go to a lot of away games. Gone for promotion to level 6 this year, as it stands after 3 assessments I think I may have done enough - not resting on laurels obviously as could go wrong yet of course - but for next season I'll need to add in more assistant refereeing on Saturdays, morning and afternoon so I'm dropping it down to going halves with my brother and going to half of the games on the days which won't be Saturday 3pm - the majority these days it seems anyway. But this is me trying to be available for as much as I am needed to be in order to gain more experience and progress not necessarily quickly but to be ready for the levels ahead. It's hard enough having uni and working quite a lot so unfortunately something has to give and for me that's Villa. Possibly because lambert has sucked any enjoyment of watching them out of it but that's a whole other story :D

My 9th year as a villa season ticket holder this year and go to a lot of away games. Gone for promotion to level 6 this year, as it stands after 3 assessments I think I may have done enough - not resting on laurels obviously as could go wrong yet of course - but for next season I'll need to add in more assistant refereeing on Saturdays, morning and afternoon so I'm dropping it down to going halves with my brother and going to half of the games on the days which won't be Saturday 3pm - the majority these days it seems anyway. But this is me trying to be available for as much as I am needed to be in order to gain more experience and progress not necessarily quickly but to be ready for the levels ahead. It's hard enough having uni and working quite a lot so unfortunately something has to give and for me that's Villa. Possibly because lambert has sucked any enjoyment of watching them out of it but that's a whole other story :D

9 and final ?! Get your 6 join the MFL Saturdays and stay on your Sunday league.

9 and final ?! Get your 6 join the MFL Saturdays and stay on your Sunday league.
Yeah I am staying on the Sunday one, but it's mornings so I'll still be going to villa games Sunday afternoon and week night. MFL is the one I'll be joining i believe

The only morning games in the MFL is u21 league you want to get some lines on Supply football.

Back