A&H

Watches

Ryan

THE REF
Level 7 Referee
I am confused about watches I only have and wear one but been told to wear two, do i uses one for stoppages or what any advice would be amazing thanks

Also any good ones to get or has anyone got one I could buy off them please?

The Referee Store
I only wear one, which has a countdown function. Most refs have two, I am thinking of getting another one and running my second as a stopwatch. Mainly so I can record easily the timing of bookings etc rather than mentally subtracting.

The one I have the wife got me from Argos, no need for an expensive thing if your just starting off, as long as it tells the time has a count down that you can set at various times and a stopwatch if that;s the way you want to go.

I just bought a watch from these people:
http://www.astopwatch.com/products/activity.asp?group=referee_sportswatches
The idea is to set the countdown timer for the half and run my other watch as a stop watch for the added time. What is good about these watches (apart from the bigger watch face which helps my poor eyes) is that when it reaches the end of the coundown period it starts counting up. So, at the end of the game when the alarm goes off, I can look at my "stopwatch" , see how much time has accrued and let the countdown watch count up until the added time is reached. Although my main reason for getting one of these was that it had a big face and was cheap.

I have a Casio Illuminator as may 'main watch' and a simple stopwatch on my other wrist.
The casio has a double display in stopwatch mode, so I can stop/start the timer, but the top display continues counting. The continuous counter beeps when 45 mins is up and a quick glance at the display tells me how much time I have to add on.

The 2nd watch is started at KO, and not touched again until end of half. I wear it purely as a back up to the Casio - just in case. I let it count continuously so should anything happen to the Casio during a game, I would already have an idea of how much time is to be added.

I am exactly the same as you Matty. I have the Casio Illuminator, with the 2 stopwatch's (on the same display), countdown timer on the other mode, and a simple stopwatch on the other wrist.

i think i may just have one with a stopwatch and just stop it when a injury e.t.c. and have one with just the time

I am exactly the same as you Matty. I have the Casio Illuminator, with the 2 stopwatch's (on the same display), countdown timer on the other mode, and a simple stopwatch on the other wrist.
I stopped using the count down function, as it was too much of a fiddle to set it going at KO, along with the other counters.
The two counters on one display I find the most useful, although I wish they were the other way round with the big numbers being the one that stops.

The left wrist counts down from 45 mins and I stop this as and when required; the right wrist counts up from zero.

I don't know how many times I've forgotten to restart the countdown watch, so it's a good job I've got the other watch going!

I have one running down from 45 to 0 and I stop if for stoppages. The other, runs from 0 to whatever time we play. The main reason I wear both is incase one stops! When with assistants though, I tend to only wear 1.

its also a good idea to keep a mental note of the time you actually kick off incase you are nly using one watch and forget to restart it after a stoppage

I wear the classic Casio mentioned above to count down the 45 (plus it shows actual time) on the left wrist and a heart rate monitor by sigma (pc25-10) on the right wrist which when in operation also has a stop watch running. Would highly recommend the sigma if you can find it, cost just under £50 with a chest strap.

I have a Casio Illuminator as may 'main watch' and a simple stopwatch on my other wrist.
The casio has a double display in stopwatch mode, so I can stop/start the timer, but the top display continues counting. The continuous counter beeps when 45 mins is up and a quick glance at the display tells me how much time I have to add on.

The 2nd watch is started at KO, and not touched again until end of half. I wear it purely as a back up to the Casio - just in case. I let it count continuously so should anything happen to the Casio during a game, I would already have an idea of how much time is to be added.

I have a casio illuminator too.

How do you run the countdown timer and stopwatch mode at the same time?

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I have the same watch. At the start of the match, I click start for the stop watch, click mode, then start again, press mode 5 times (!) to get back to stopwatch, and keep it on that! I use the countdown timer to tell players how long left, and for extra time.

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I have the same watch. At the start of the match, I click start for the stop watch, click mode, then start again, press mode 5 times (!) to get back to stopwatch, and keep it on that! I use the countdown timer to tell players how long left, and for extra time.
That's exactly what I do / did. Simple button routine 'Front-Side-Front' and both timers are counting. Next time ball OOP set the mode back to the timer (the one after the higher pitched beep) and carry on. Only the stopwatch stops-and-starts though.

I've seen a referee using two analogue watches. Don't ask me how or why, but he did.

I had one counting down, one counting up. One counting down used to get stopped

Also - some advise. I had to do this the other day. Every so often look at ur watch. Just in case u only have one watch on - 4 what ever reason - and u forget to restart it or reset it. Then u know that only a few min ago u had played 20min so u have 25min to play - had to think on my feet with this one and known of the players found out I f**cked up - no one complained

I just got a Spintso. Very good piece of kit! Doesn't let you forget about it! Very easy to configure too! Would recommend it to anyone!

I'm sorry but what is wrong with two stopwatches that also tell the time?

Start on 0 and go up to 45, simples. Any cards just write time.

Don't see why people need all these fancy watches, also stoppages are fairly easy to monitor IMO. Use common sense, if you can see the lads hurt then look at the time just as it has happened then when you restart. Easy.

Back