A&H

Was Roger East confused?

quizeye

Just struggling for reasons for the non-award of a penalty to Bournemouth as a result of Shawcross diving in on Wilson. The only thing I can think, from a "human factors" point of view, is that East had a momentary subconscious confusion about the new "genuine attempt to play the ball" thing. In the cold light of "ten seconds thinking time" we know that only relates to the colour of the card, but would it be enough to induce a moment of doubt in an elite official?

The Referee Store
He seemed to indicate that Shawcross played the ball. Rather than getting confused, I just think he was a long way behind a fast break, ended up in a poor position and simply didn't see what had happened correctly.

He seemed to indicate that Shawcross played the ball. Rather than getting confused, I just think he was a long way behind a fast break, ended up in a poor position and simply didn't see what had happened correctly.

I'd agree, and he didn't really help himself by doing that as it might well have stopped the assistant from telling him over the comms that he was about to make a massive mistake.

I'd agree, and he didn't really help himself by doing that as it might well have stopped the assistant from telling him over the comms that he was about to make a massive mistake.
It's happened to us all. A referee who takes full control of certain aspects of a game when really he could do with a little extra help from a NAR in certain situations. It will come back and bite you.

I've not had seen the incident in question, but didn't Roger East have a similar experience a few weeks ago?

Waved away a penalty shout before assistant got in his ear with (I would imagine) a 'what the hell are you doing man, award a penalty' shout to get him to the correct decision, despite it being well outside the AR's credible area?

Well done that man (may have been Darren Cann?) for helping get to the correct decision, despite it looking very messy from RE.

I've not had seen the incident in question, but didn't Roger East have a similar experience a few weeks ago?

Waved away a penalty shout before assistant got in his ear with (I would imagine) a 'what the hell are you doing man, award a penalty' shout to get him to the correct decision, despite it being well outside the AR's credible area?

Well done that man (may have been Darren Cann?) for helping get to the correct decision, despite it looking very messy from RE.

Think it was Darren Cann again. This time though he had no chance of helping, I remember the previous one I think and East did nothing at the potential foul, allowing the assistant to come in and bail him out over the comms. It looked messy as it took ages but ultimately they got the right decision.

This time East gave a clear no penalty signal, and as soon as he has done this he has effectively rules the assistant out. Even with a non physical signal, as it would look very strange indeed for the referee to clearly rule out a penalty only to then give it a few seconds later with no visible signal from an assistant.

And an understandable mistake as well - the ball has travelled in the exact direction one would expect it to had it been played in the challenge. How often do we use the direction of the ball as an aid in deciding whether a challenge is fair or not? Still a mistake granted, but not a heinous one.

Back