A&H

Was I right too to abandon

Was I right?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ref1995

So today had my first sunday league game of the season on the league I do while at uni. Two good premier division teams played in a very competitive manor. Ten mins in caution for a cynical pull back no issues. In the 19th min get the first incident that causes a few moans royal blue 9 (striker) run from right back to striker and leaves the floor to close the ball down, wins the ball but was studs up off the ground caution for endangering the safety of an opponent obvious annoyance but once explained to captain it was understood.
In the 35th minute the linesmen flags for the ball out of play and a corner which I go with because it seemed obvious but the left back of royal blue disagreed and told me to "**** off" caution followed by "all I did was swear ref" I respond "it was directed at me and you know the new directive we're being hot on dissent this year" For the rest of the half they question why theres no caution every time someone swears why it isn't a caution.

We get into the second half and in the 47th minute the sky blue skipper disagree with a decision is within 3 yards of me and ten of the opponents management a sub and shouts "****ing hell ref are you sure" caution excepts it and says at least he's consistent, probably in a way to say neither should have been but I'll call it a compliment. 52nd minute royal blue 17 flies in gets the ball but again off the ground so another caution.

The 63rd minute is where it gets interesting a sky blue attacker takes the ball past a royal blue defender in the box the defender makes contact with the ball but blocks the run of the sky blue forward who goes down theatrically, which didn't help me, but it was a penalty none the less. surrounded by royal blues the captain and another CB try to move them away I do the pretend to go to pocket they all drop off I explain decision and it seems to be fine. penalty scored.
65th minute i'm in position for a goal kick and hear the manager in my direction say "your ****ing **** ref you mates with this lot or something you ****ing bottle job" i send him away from the field of play he asks why I say OFFINABUS he say "alright mate okay then I'll see you in the car park after the game and I'll smash you up you cheeky ****" game off walk over to my bag surrounded by player "why you ruining a good"...
Takes time you clear them away, they continue abuse in the car park I hear the manager say "I would bang the cheeky **** what a sausage"

Reported to league need to now do FA stuff don't want to do too soon whilst still a bit shaken up. Appreciate any comment on if I was right

The Referee Store
100% right.

Make sure your reports are exact. Don't miss a detail. If they threatened your safety, express that in the report. The report should reflect exactly how you felt in that situation.

100% and hopefully a nice hefty fine for the manger no need for this in our game and we can see why there a shortage of referees

Correct to abandon.

But....."endangering the safety of an opponent"....caution....really? So, it was a dangerous challenge rather than reckless or careless......see where i am going?

Correct to abandon.

But....."endangering the safety of an opponent"....caution....really? So, it was a dangerous challenge rather than reckless or careless......see where i am going?
I know exactly where youre going but I felt it was more reckless than anything else tbh but I take youre point on board

Quick question would you put it in two reports, one for the send off and one for what happened after.
I have become aware they are on a final warning

Quick question would you put it in two reports, one for the send off and one for what happened after.
You could go either way but I'd do two reports (although both are for misconduct in this case unless he was playing/a sub). I'd report the first incident then do another saying what happened afterwards and in the car park. Ignore the 'final warning' as that's the league/FA responsibility, not yours, though I'm sure they'll have the book thrown at them for what you describe.

The 63rd minute is where it gets interesting a sky blue attacker takes the ball past a royal blue defender in the box the defender makes contact with the ball but blocks the run of the sky blue forward who goes down theatrically, which didn't help me, but it was a penalty none the less.

Can you talk me through this incident a bit? You mention the defender has won the ball here, and in the process blocked the run of the striker. Well, that in itself isn't an issue. 'Blocking off' tends to be a foul when the defender makes no attempt to play the ball at all.

Can you talk me through this incident a bit? You mention the defender has won the ball here, and in the process blocked the run of the striker. Well, that in itself isn't an issue. 'Blocking off' tends to be a foul when the defender makes no attempt to play the ball at all.
From my position the contact he made on the ball was minimal and as the attacker has gone to go round the defender the defender has prevented him from reaching the ball by changing the direction of his run. Had the defender been going straight for the ball there would be no contact

If in doubt, always do multiple reports. The CFA can combine the charges if they wish, but it is difficult for them to split a report.

Also, in your instances there was two distinct events, which have to reported separately.

studs up off the ground caution for endangering the safety of an opponent obvious annoyance but once explained to captain it was understood.

Endangering safety is a send off. Assume you felt it was reckless and could have been dangerous, but felt a caution was correct? If so, fine.

told me to "**** off".
He'd be off in one of my games.

hear the manager in my direction say "your ****ing **** ref you mates with this lot or something you ****ing bottle job" i send him away from the field of play he asks why I say OFFINABUS he say "alright mate okay then I'll see you in the car park after the game and I'll smash you up you cheeky ****" game off walk over to my bag surrounded by player "why you ruining a good"...
Right course of action, hope they throw the book at him.

Yes, correct to abandon and I hope you are OK, no matter how much we think we are prepared for this it is not an enjoyable experience.

65th minute i'm in position for a goal kick and hear the manager in my direction say "your ****ing **** ref you mates with this lot or something you ****ing bottle job" i send him away from the field of play he asks why I say OFFINABUS...
I agree with the action you took in abandoning the match. Clearly he was out of line. But wouldn't he have been dismissed for not behaving in a responsible manner? I'm being honest here, since some leagues probably allow the dismissal for OFFINABUS.

Back