A&H

Want my first promotion

7-5 only needs club marks if a referee hasn't had enough observations. Only when it gets to level 4 and above do club marks become part of the promotion criteria.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I've spoken to two refs who went from 7-6 in my county and they both said that they didn't have an observation during that period so how would your ability be judged other than with club marks?

The Referee Store
I said ANY promotion system not specific to any level... Ta

To my mind it depends on how they are used. If it is just looking at numbers, I agree. but if it is a thoughtful review of the games, context, numbers, and comments, it is not necessarily unreasonable as a factor. Negative marks from the team that lost or had a player/manager sent off certainly needed to be reviewed with a whole lot of salt. But comments from the teams, especially winning teams, can certainly be illuminating if considered carefully. If every team (winners and losers) complains that the ref was rude, it suggests a need to improve game management. If multiple teams describe mistakes of laws (Again, not just teams that lost), it can be a clue. (I don't do anything where the teams get an opinion, so my remarks are hypothetical--I fear that too often all reviews get reduced to numbers, which is not particularly illuminating.)

I said ANY promotion system not specific to any level... Ta

We know your views on this, you've made them clear probably hundreds of times. I don't necessarily disagree by the way, but it is getting better. Ten years ago for 7-6 and 6-5 promotion boards we got presented with club marks and they were looked at with equal weighting as assessor marks, these days we don't even get to see the club marks at those levels unless there is a very good reason to do so (e.g. not enough observations).

At higher levels they count less, unless it has changed recently then at L3 observer marks carry double the weight of club marks. Also at L4 it is extremely rare for a referee to be A for clubs and E for observers, or vice versa, or even B/D or D/B. More often than not they are the same band or only one band difference. Similar at L3, whilst there aren't bands it is rare to see someone top 50 for clubs and bottom 50 for observers or vice versa, rather they tend to be more closely aligned. All of which suggests observers and clubs are presenting similar views on the referee's performance.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I've spoken to two refs who went from 7-6 in my county and they both said that they didn't have an observation during that period so how would your ability be judged other than with club marks?

Sounds fishy to me. :confused:

You can't just be promoted from 7-6 without being assessed. I'd take that info with more than a pinch of salt.

7-5 only needs club marks if a referee hasn't had enough observations. Only when it gets to level 4 and above do club marks become part of the promotion criteria.
I’m doing 7-6 at the moment on a recent training day I was told both observations and club marks are taken into cosiderstion

I’m doing 7-6 at the moment on a recent training day I was told both observations and club marks are taken into cosiderstion
That has changed then. When I did my promotions c. 5 years ago club marks were a fall back.

My CFA have indicated there won't be any observations until late April whilst the observers are brought up to speed (as far as 7-5 is concerned, at least)

Sounds fishy to me. :confused:

You can't just be promoted from 7-6 without being assessed. I'd take that info with more than a pinch of salt.

I did and I hope there is observations. I'll have done 100 matches after this weekend and I've not been observed yet. Feedback both good and bad would be nice

I did and I hope there is observations. I'll have done 100 matches after this weekend and I've not been observed yet. Feedback both good and bad would be nice
I'm on 95, so you've surged ahead!
My Nanna 👵 could've reffed at least half of mine however

I used to have to give teams referee scores out of 10 to my Ref Sec for a Sunday league a few years ago. To see who was behaving....
One particular team I gave a big fat ZERO to! :smoke: He rang me and said no one had ever put zero before, I said I didn't really want to put zero down but putting minus values weren't a tickable box!! :)... They were a complete set of cluster****s who regularly were fighting and just being horrible to everyone. They didnt care one bit!!!

We know your views on this, you've made them clear probably hundreds of times. I don't necessarily disagree by the way, but it is getting better. Ten years ago for 7-6 and 6-5 promotion boards we got presented with club marks and they were looked at with equal weighting as assessor marks, these days we don't even get to see the club marks at those levels unless there is a very good reason to do so (e.g. not enough observations).

At higher levels they count less, unless it has changed recently then at L3 observer marks carry double the weight of club marks. Also at L4 it is extremely rare for a referee to be A for clubs and E for observers, or vice versa, or even B/D or D/B. More often than not they are the same band or only one band difference. Similar at L3, whilst there aren't bands it is rare to see someone top 50 for clubs and bottom 50 for observers or vice versa, rather they tend to be more closely aligned. All of which suggests observers and clubs are presenting similar views on the referee's performance.
Well, it seems like the madness continues so I shall return to my lectern... great post btw...

Last edited:
You're probably not as good as you'd like to think you are, but you're also a lot better than some of those who watch you think you are. Keep believing, keep developing and keep enjoying it.

Besides, who would know with any accuracy, how many games a L7 had refereed in the preceding registration period?
Do refsecs report numbers to the CFA each season? Are they supposed to report club marks? Very few of us enter all games into WGS
Yes Ref Appts Secretaries are expected to report the number of games completed by each referee and the club marks awarded, for every single game in leagues using Full Time. It's part of their role. So yes a County FA would probably know how many games a L7 has been appointed to.

Last edited:
You're probably not as good as you'd like to think you are, but you're also a lot better than some of those who watch you think you are. Keep believing, keep developing and keep enjoying it.
Do we get the chance to assess you Hamster, seen as you've relapsed after the premature retirement.. Can the old dog still aspire to be assessed??

Self critic at heart whether as a player, ref or at work. I always review what I do in my head in the car on the way home. What went right, What went wrong and what would I do differently next time.

I was rubbish every week apparently, but the teams must of been gluttons for punishment as they kept asking me back :cool:......The Silly buggers made the same mistake over 500 + times..... Luckily they must of found a new bunch of weekend spoilers as bad as me to mither.

Self critic at heart whether as a player, ref or at work.
Absolutely agree with this. Which is why I think a ref needs a year of introspection and self-reflection before embarking on promotion
Incidentally however, this approach didn't work so well with golf. Turned the game into a bit of a nightmare for me :brb:

Back