A&H

Wales v Ukraine

David F

Looked a nailed-on penalty not given after VAR check - striker clearly nips in to get the ball and gets kicked by the defender.

I guess slightly unusual in that both are moving in the same direction away from goal, but still feels like a pen?

The Referee Store
Looked a nailed-on penalty not given after VAR check - striker clearly nips in to get the ball and gets kicked by the defender.

I guess slightly unusual in that both are moving in the same direction away from goal, but still feels like a pen?
Truly unbelievable.

Would love to hear the communication between VAR and ref

IMO the attacker (Yarmolenko) does go down even before the contact is made. That could be a reason.

I missed that part of the game. But for a quick restart on a cautionable foul, the restart has to take place before the R starts the discipline process. I’m guessing that the R had started the process, which mandated that the restart be ceremonial.

IMO the attacker (Yarmolenko) does go down even before the contact is made. That could be a reason.
There was calls for a foul in the build up agasinst Wales, but I'm still not 100% on VAR protocol so I don't know how much that gets brought in. Regardless, I think the way Yarmolenko goes down is realistically why it wasn't given, as it seemed pre-emptive

There was calls for a foul in the build up agasinst Wales, but I'm still not 100% on VAR protocol so I don't know how much that gets brought in. Regardless, I think the way Yarmolenko goes down is realistically why it wasn't given, as it seemed pre-emptive
I *believe* that the way the protocols work is that if the VAR thought there was a C&O error in not giving a Pk, the VAR would then check for a foul in the build up, and if the VAR concludes there was a C&O error in the build up, the VAR would recommend a review. The R would then look at the PK issue, and if he agreed it would be a PK, he would then look at the foul in the build up, and if he agreed it was a C&O error not to call that foul, that foul would then be called and the Fk awarded.I’m pretty sure, but not positive on that, as it is a rare sequence.

And the earlier disallowed goal…?
Can only presume the ref had instructed them to go on the whistle and they didn't, my guess
I missed that part of the game. But for a quick restart on a cautionable foul, the restart has to take place before the R starts the discipline process. I’m guessing that the R had started the process, which mandated that the restart be ceremonial.
"The whistle is needed to:
- restart play after it has been stopped for a:
- caution or sending-off"

As @socal lurker points out, they can take a quick free kick provided the referee hasn't started the disciplinary process, but as he had already shown two cautions, it was a bit late for that!

I *believe* that the way the protocols work is that if the VAR thought there was a C&O error in not giving a Pk, the VAR would then check for a foul in the build up, and if the VAR concludes there was a C&O error in the build up, the VAR would recommend a review. The R would then look at the PK issue, and if he agreed it would be a PK, he would then look at the foul in the build up, and if he agreed it was a C&O error not to call that foul, that foul would then be called and the Fk awarded.I’m pretty sure, but not positive on that, as it is a rare sequence.
Yeah, if it was a careless foul on the halfway line, I've never seen VAR go back for something small as a process of overturning a C&O error. One of those bits of the LOTG I'm less clued up on, but I do think on terms of VAR, it is operated much better in WC and Euro from my view, than it is in the PL, but I do hear about PL calls way more often so that could be bias.

Yeah, if it was a careless foul on the halfway line, I've never seen VAR go back for something small as a process of overturning a C&O error. One of those bits of the LOTG I'm less clued up on, but I do think on terms of VAR, it is operated much better in WC and Euro from my view, than it is in the PL, but I do hear about PL calls way more often so that could be bias.
I have seen fouls called through use of VAR way back in the other half to take back a goal. In at least one case, I have seen the goal wiped and a DFK for the other team in their attacking zone as a result of a foul in the way the team that "scored" gained possession. They aren't common, and the foul can be no earlier than the way that the scoring team gained possession on the possession that led to the goal/

On a side note, I really didn’t enjoy this refereeing performance, each to their own but I’m really not keen on his style. The yellow to Rob Page made me wince in the manner it was dished out. He seems like an overexcited child at times

On a side note, I really didn’t enjoy this refereeing performance, each to their own but I’m really not keen on his style. The yellow to Rob Page made me wince in the manner it was dished out. He seems like an overexcited child at times
Aye, I hadn't actually watched this ref before, but I know the commentators mentioned he had an almost arrogant style to him, and was quick to cards, which seemed to sort of ring true

Aye, I hadn't actually watched this ref before, but I know the commentators mentioned he had an almost arrogant style to him, and was quick to cards, which seemed to sort of ring true

I don't know what Rob Paige said and how much he was or wasn't previously warned by the fourth official. But he did step out of his technical area and began to visually and verbally descent towards the match official. He was cautioned for this and seemed to accept it. The referee also cautioned a Wales player early on for obvious dissent.

So I just find it funny that the number of times people on this forum complain about referees at the top level not dealing with dissent, and then we get a referee who deals with the two biggest examples of dissent in the game and now he's apparently arrogant and quick to card.

Personally I'd rather have more referees like him who show enjoyment and personality while they're officiating. The Andre Marriner I'm a statute style of officiating gets kind of boring after a while.

Last edited:
I don't know what Rob Paige said and how much he was or wasn't previously warned by the fourth official. But he did step out of his technical area and began to visually and verbally descent towards the match official. He was cautioned for this and seemed to accept it. The referee also cautioned a Scotland player early on for obvious dissent.

So I just find it funny that the number of times people on this forum complain about referees at the top level not dealing with dissent, and then we get a referee who deals with the two biggest examples of dissent in the game and now he's apparently arrogant and quick to card.

Personally I'd rather have more referees like him who show enjoyment and personality while they're officiating. The Adre Mariner I'm a statute style of officiating gets kind of boring after a while.
Having watched the game, as a Wales fan, I agree Rob Page probably warranted a booking due to the way in which he shouted at the referee, but it does seem to be hit and miss across the board, and maybe something which UEFA/FIFA need to get their refs and 4ths to take up on stamping out more widely.

I do feel like the referee did conduct himself with a slight arrogance, which whilst as you say, is his own personality (why Mike Dean is loved and hated by many), it made the ref noticeable, brining the theory of 'the best refs are the ones you dont notice' sort of thing into play.

Probably not the best person to ask as a total wales fan, but I can agree that Page deserved booking.

Was actually interesting how Martin Tyler immediately picked the ref up for being heavy on cards, and Dan James (who to be fair was acting like an idiot in the refs face multiple times), got booked within a minute and some.

Also I don't think a referee having flair is unique to him in that league. When you officiate in a league that is mostly players from Spain, Portugal, and South America you need a little flair to deal with the personality of those players in the Latin style game.

Personally I'd rather have Lahoz then the next guy up who's probably going to be doing Champions League games once the top two in Spain retire this year.

Was actually interesting how Martin Tyler immediately picked the ref up for being heavy on cards, and Dan James (who to be fair was acting like an idiot in the refs face multiple times), got booked within a minute and some.
The thing is once you're a referee who's made a big decision against an English side and a Champions League game then that's all you're known for going forward in every game covered by an English commentator. Looking back he gave four correct cards to players in a World Cup final playoff.

Lahoz is the Spanish version of Mike Dean, he has always been flambuoyant and if anything has reigned it in over recent seasons. He has had a high card count, but also seems to have a very good rapport with players.

There aren't that many referees that would have done this at the end of the game ...

1654621252156.png

Lahoz is the Spanish version of Mike Dean, he has always been flambuoyant and if anything has reigned it in over recent seasons. He has had a high card count, but also seems to have a very good rapport with players.

There aren't that many referees that would have done this at the end of the game ...

View attachment 5712
Fair play to him for that one. Bit different from what i'd expected, but I think he does have resemblances to Mike Dean (who I was interestingly looking at, and from memory, his card count was quite low when he started reffing, but he has been on the PL for a very long time). I guess it's a matter of perspective, as a wales fan i probably ended up taking some bias in my perspective on him, but that is great to see

Back