A&H

'Violent Conduct' on Referee

The ref went forward because the player clipped him from behind at the same time.

I understand what you're saying about when you have a clash you put an arm out. But this player has deliberately chosen to run by the ref in that fashion and put the arm out. That you can't do. If it's a complete accident then fair enough. This looked to me like a player who didn't give a damn that the ref was in front of him and just wanted to barge past him.

We've all been run into players on the field and I'm not suggesting it's always going to be a red.

The Referee Store
The ref was basicly in his path, it happens, in all honesty I’m not gonna slag the ref off he experienced it & he’s seen the replays only he knows himself if he still agrees with the decision.

Maybe had I been out there in the middle i May have felt aggrieved like the ref did but from the comfort of my sofa & on my iPhone it looks utterly ridiculous to send him off.

If the ref was in his path then it's on the player to go around, not go 'oh well, you're in my way, I'll just barge through you'.

Had the ref crossed in front of him I'd give the player the benefit of the doubt, but the ref was actually going away from the player.

We’ll leave it at that capn it’s all about perception & that’s why you me or whatever ref is in the middle has cards & a whistle it’s there decision.

It’d be boring if we all had the same opinion.

It's clearly accidental.

There is a little known setting on YouTube, next to the CC there is a setting button with a red HD stamp. If you click that you can select the lowest slow motion speed from the speed setting. I didn't notice it at first but it's not actually the hand on/by the shoulder that does it. The Red 7's left leg get's stuck underneath the referee's left leg whist his foot is mid air. This causes the trip. It's clumsy at worst but not violent conduct, the player is trying to get around the back of the referee and get across to the ball but misjudges the situation. The arms up as an instinctive reaction to avoid contact or lightly touch like you'd do in a supermarket if you are about to crash into someone. It's not that usual but these sort of things happen sometimes, the contact which causes the trip is completely unintentional and tangle of legs .

Watch it in slow-mo and you'll see.

Yes, but the arm on the shoulder comes first. Everything about this tells me the player decided he was happy to barge past/through the referee rather than go around him. That's not an accidental contact.

Yes, but the arm on the shoulder comes first. Everything about this tells me the player decided he was happy to barge past/through the referee rather than go around him. That's not an accidental contact.

For me, the arm on the shoulder isn't standard practice or normal but more to avoid the collision. I think that's instinct like when someone brushes past you in a que or something and is being polite. I was queuing for a matchday programme at the Emirates for Wenger's last game last week...que was massive and fans were cutting through the cut in front of me to get to the ground and literally all of them were touching my back and shoulder like that. Happened so many times I actually picked up on it. Not the same, but similar sort of thing going on here imo. Same sort of thing as assistant referees putting their hands up if a player is about to bump into them or run into them. Imagine a referee going through players in a narrow tunnel to get to the front...he might put his arm on the shoulder or back of a couple of players as a natural action to make his way to the front. The referee isn't committing violent contact. I think it's the same.

The accidental trip is what floors the referee. My common sense tells me the player had no interest in barging through the referee. How often do you see that? I think at worst it's clumsy, the ref jumped the gun maybe because of the sequence of events i.e just denied a free-kick and the same player was appealing and pulled a red out because he was guessing.

Back