A&H

Villains Toffees

So when Coleman kicks the ball, is the bell in play ?

If it is I’m not sure what the offence is, unless kicking the ball at someone is now a yellow card.
Law 13.2, Procedure for taking a free kick: the player taking the kick deliberately kicks it at an opponent in order to be able to play it again, play continues, but it can't be careless or reckless or using excessive force.
The offence is itself kicking the ball at a player, either for a reason other than to play it again, or doing it carelessly or recklessly or UEF.

The Referee Store
I've not seen the incident, but if the ball was kicked with as much force as you say wouldn't there be grounds for a red card for violent conduct?
I thought at the time it was close to being excessive force and that Coleman was perhaps a tiny bit fortunate it was only a yellow. On the other hand, I reckon many would have seen a red as harsh. More of an 'orange' perhaps? I didn't see anything about the opponent initially going down as simulation. The ball was virtually touching his ankles when Coleman kicked it - the ball and Coleman's follow through pretty much swept his feet out from under him. Although he did milk it a bit in the aftermath.

I thought at the time it was close to being excessive force and that Coleman was perhaps a tiny bit fortunate it was only a yellow. On the other hand, I reckon many would have seen a red as harsh. More of an 'orange' perhaps? I didn't see anything about the opponent initially going down as simulation. The ball was virtually touching his ankles when Coleman kicked it - the ball and Coleman's follow through pretty much swept his feet out from under him. Although he did milk it a bit in the aftermath.
Sounds like excessive force from that description, a caution each way makes the foul worth it there.

Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

If the player wouldn't have got in Colemans way then Coleman would not have committed any offence.
And? 2 wrongs and all that...
Player should leave the ref to manage it rather than take the laws into his own hands.

Why is this an offence if it's not CRUEF?
The law is fairly clear that if the reason is to be able to play the ball, play continues. That implies if the reason is something else, it does not, so someone must have done something to require stopping play. Unless the defender is otherwise being penalised, in which case this entire point is moot, the attacker must be, and the only thing they've done is kick the ball at an opponent.

Now, if it's not careless or reckless or UEF, I'm going to assume they only wanted the ball touched so they can play it again, but there's definitely a small gap for "something else" to be the reason, and therefore play to be stopped.

Let's leave out CRUEF as we both agree it can't be that.

if the reason is to be able to play the ball, play continues. That implies if the reason is something else, it does not,
This is a common misunderstanding of the negation logic. A simple analogy makes this clear. If I assert "If a man is from France, he is European" then you can not say that implies "If a man is not from France, he is not European".

A player can deliberately kick the ball at an opponent to bounce it off to pass to a team mate. If he deliberately kicks it at an opponent from a tight angle, or IFK to deflect it into goal, it's a goal (uncommon in football but a common tactic n a futsal IFKs or corner kicks). The most common (non-free kick) football use is, when cornered, to deliberately kick it at an opponent to bounce it out of play.

Last edited:
Back