A&H

Villa vs Utd

Degnann

As incompetent as the last ref
Level 4 Referee
We could have a full thread on the man Moss himself.

anybody else think thats not a penalty? I actually think its more foul to Villa.

The Referee Store
No pen for me. Neville says he can see why Moss gave it but to me it seems clear than Fernandes has essentially jumped into the defender and landed on his leg

No pen for me. Neville says he can see why Moss gave it but to me it seems clear than Fernandes has essentially jumped into the defender and landed on his leg

on first viewing from the tv cameras I said pen, but then the reply he clearly jumps into the defender. Not a good game for VAR or Moss already

How has VAR looked and seen that as a penalty? Fernandes backed into Konsa and stepped on him. Madness!

Attachments

• IMG-20200709-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200709-WA0003.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 14
If I'm not mistaken, Konsa didn't get ball OR man, it was a case of Fernandes committing the foul.

But imagine trying to sell that at grass roots!

If I'm not mistaken, Konsa didn't get ball OR man, it was a case of Fernandes committing the foul.

But imagine trying to sell that at grass roots!
Nevermind grassroots if those at the top can’t get it right

Hang on. Think I might be the only one that thinks its a pen (less moss and VAR of course, we'll just leave that there 😂). Fernandes is attempting to pull off a skill move, his foot is landing exactly where I'd expect his foot to, yes it looks painful to the villa lad, but he's been done and he's dived in, made contact and for me it's a foul. If Fernandes' foot doesn't make incidental contact with the defender then we all say easy pen to give.

, his foot is landing exactly where Ito the villa lad, but he's been done and he's dived in, made contact and for me it's a foul. If Fernandes' foot doesn't make incidental contact with the defender then we all say easy pen to give.

The Villa players leg was there first, so it is Fernandez that has made contact. Fernandez treads on the Villa player. Any player is “entitled” to his space, the fact that Fernandez steps on him tells me that the Villa player was there first and it is Fernandez that initiates contact, therefore commits the foul

This shows it quite well:

The Villa players leg was there first, so it is Fernandez that has made contact. Fernandez treads on the Villa player. Any player is “entitled” to his space, the fact that Fernandez steps on him tells me that the Villa player was there first and it is Fernandez that initiates contact, therefore commits the foul

This shows it quite well:

Not sure I agree with thay exactly. It's a mistimed challenge. If a player runs past another player and sticks his leg out, which causes the other player to trip over it, but the player who stuck his leg out's leg was their first, it's still a trip and a careless foul (or worse).
The defender has mistimed his tackle, Fernandes has every right to try a piece of skill. He has every right to be able to attempt it and not be prevented unfairly because someone got their foot their first.
If the defender was just there I'd say fair argument but he isn't he has attempted a challenge which he has mistimed, or miscalculated and the result was he brought the attacker down.
I gather I am in the minority here 🤣

Not sure I agree with thay exactly. It's a mistimed challenge. If a player runs past another player and sticks his leg out, which causes the other player to trip over it, but the player who stuck his leg out's leg was their first, it's still a trip and a careless foul (or worse).
The defender has mistimed his tackle, Fernandes has every right to try a piece of skill. He has every right to be able to attempt it and not be prevented unfairly because someone got their foot their first.
If the defender was just there I'd say fair argument but he isn't he has attempted a challenge which he has mistimed, or miscalculated and the result was he brought the attacker down.
I gather I am in the minority here 🤣

Maybe it's punishing the more severe offence, which is the jump onto the leg.

I'd say its 75% of that, 25% of the Villa foul.

More severe is the penalty surely? >_>

Anyway, I agree with @JamesL it's a penalty, going in for the move, Villa player has committed too early, trip, easy peasy. Brave for any person to give it the other way I reckon. But I can see why you might.

If you just watch Bruno Fernandes, it could well be a red card for him and free kick to Villa.

If you just watch Konsa, its a penalty to Man United.

The replay is damning. It’s reckless from Fernandes for me.

(And insane that this was a pen. It’ll be in the courses I expect and never given again. Even I’d Zidane pirouette every time I got close to the box if I thought I could ger away with this!)

More severe is the penalty surely? >_>

Anyway, I agree with @JamesL it's a penalty, going in for the move, Villa player has committed too early, trip, easy peasy. Brave for any person to give it the other way I reckon. But I can see why you might.

I would say the RC is more severe, guaranteed player off, whereas the pen isn't a guaranteed goal.

Happy to be corrected though.

“In addition, rules around handball, offside and goalkeepers standing on their lines for penalty kicks will all be dealt with through Fifa, with clarification expected for next season which individual leagues will be expected to adhere to.“

From the end of the article

Uh oh

The replay is damning. It’s reckless from Fernandes for me.

(And insane that this was a pen. It’ll be in the courses I expect and never given again. Even I’d Zidane pirouette every time I got close to the box if I thought I could ger away with this!)
I suspect that if the player was Salah you would have a different opinion ;)
In no way should skill be discouraged from the game. The Maradona, or the Zidane pirouette, is a skill move thats executed in close proximity to your opponent. He hasn't thrown himself into anything, he has trapped the ball, spun, and his foot has landed exactly where it should have, to complete the second half of the move. Looking at the freeze frame, the defender has lunged in at pretty much the same moment to try and win the ball and gotten no where near it. There is nothing reckless about it. The defender got caught because of a poorly timed challenge, not through the recklessness of an opponent. Fernandes is actually about a yard away from the opponent at the start of the move and the move in together.

This is a really marginal one. I think spuddy nailed it if I am honest. I can see why some might say no penalty after viewing the slow mo. But, we shouldn't be using the slow mo here, we look at this in real time, it looks like a penalty to me. I suspect the no pen camp can provide evidence to say no pen and likewise the pen camp could show why it is a foul and either be as convincing as the other.

Can see PL match centre have come out and said wrong decision, but if I am honest we've disagreed with them plenty of times before on here.

Tough one :)

I would say the RC is more severe, guaranteed player off, whereas the pen isn't a guaranteed goal.

Happy to be corrected though.
I think you have to decide which offence is first. I'm not sure they are exactly Simultaneous.

You're going send Fernandes off here? Really? I mean we couldn't be further away on the outcome here 😂😂😂

I thought penalty in real time but after multiple replays and slo mos, I don't think it is.

So as for "clear and obvious error" and the fact that we seem to be disagreeing on here, I don't think VAR should overrule it.

Seen comments on social media that because it's active refs in the VAR room, they don't want to overrule their mates. Well if we used the pitchside monitors then they wouldn't have to?

It's not a penalty for me. YC for Fernandez would be good. If you look at the point of contact you would have to go red, but if it's really accidental there are situations (like falling on someone after a header) where you don't have to punish that hard.

Back