A&H

Villa v Blades

The Referee Store
OK, I should have read from most latest backwards. I've deleted several posts to get this back on track and won't issue bans as they were all before the warning.

Don't push your luck though as if it goes off topic again there will be consequences. There are suitable places for airing political, socioeconomic, religious, racial, etc, views and that place isn't on a refereeing forum.

Am I mistaken, or is this the first GLTfailure?

I don't fault the VAR on this at all, and I don't fault the AR, either.

The whole point of GLT, for better or worse, is that it's supposed to be better than what we can see with our eyes. So while those of us posting here are going to be focused on the ball crossing the line here, that's not the ARs primary responsibility, as the rely on GLT. There is a point where the AR has to recognize something went wrong, but on a close play, the AR may well be thinking, "Wow, glad we have GLT or I would have got that wrong since I thought it was over."

And none of us have been in the room with what expectation VARs are given. I would suspect, to the extent the instruction is given, that they are told they don't need to look at goal line decisions as GLT is there for that. Or maybe only if they get told VAR is down or if it's blatant. I would imagine the VAR is expected to stay focused on the game and what only the VAR can review rather than spending time second guessing GLT.

But after this, that expectation may well change. Or there may be pressure to add more cameras to the GLT system to reduce the odds of it happening again.

Am I mistaken, or is this the first GLTfailure?

I don't fault the VAR on this at all, and I don't fault the AR, either.

The whole point of GLT, for better or worse, is that it's supposed to be better than what we can see with our eyes. So while those of us posting here are going to be focused on the ball crossing the line here, that's not the ARs primary responsibility, as the rely on GLT. There is a point where the AR has to recognize something went wrong, but on a close play, the AR may well be thinking, "Wow, glad we have GLT or I would have got that wrong since I thought it was over."

And none of us have been in the room with what expectation VARs are given. I would suspect, to the extent the instruction is given, that they are told they don't need to look at goal line decisions as GLT is there for that. Or maybe only if they get told VAR is down or if it's blatant. I would imagine the VAR is expected to stay focused on the game and what only the VAR can review rather than spending time second guessing GLT.

But after this, that expectation may well change. Or there may be pressure to add more cameras to the GLT system to reduce the odds of it happening again.
What utter rot. This was an epic failure of the refereeing team and VAR to produce the correct result. We're not arguing about a millimetre precise offside decision but a goal where the whole of ball clearly crossed the goal line.......as other have said, technology is supposed to help not hinder the correct decision.

What utter rot. This was an epic failure of the refereeing team and VAR to produce the correct result. We're not arguing about a millimetre precise offside decision but a goal where the whole of ball clearly crossed the goal line.......as other have said, technology is supposed to help not hinder the correct decision.

100%. By his comments, the AR is redundant other than flagging for a throw, as VAR will catch offside and GLT catches goal

number one duty of AR worldwide, basics, ball in and our of play
Including when its over the line, between the posts, and under the bar.

rely on nothing, officiate as per not having tech, every single one of us will have, or used, dodgy buzzers for example.
offside is still offside, signal bip or lollipop stick!
And a goal is still a goal.

I think you are being a bit harsh.

Whilst I do think the officials should have been more proactive in investigating, I think it was a balanced post to say that if you've spent 7 years officiating with GLT and have believed it to have been correct in over 9000 games then your instinct is going to be to trust it. That was wrong on this occasion but I'm sure all of us have been caught out in the past by something unprecedented occurring that we'd never before accounted for. I'm sure there have been many cases over the past 7 or so years when many of us, including the match officials, have either thought in real time that the ball had crossed the line or that it hadn't, only for the technology to then prove us wrong and give a different decision. It seemed the players also had faith in the system so didn't appeal too strongly when Michael Oliver told them the watch hadn't gone off.

If VARs have never checked goal line decisions as a matter of course then again I think it's kind of understandable why it wouldn't suddenly be done now because you have to see a replay to know that there's a possible issue. If you've never looked at replays for goal line decisions, then you're not going to know there's an issue.

I do think it was embarrassing and as I say I think some officiating teams would have done a better job at getting to the right decision but I can understand why they missed it and think many other officiating teams would have too.

I think you are being a bit harsh.

Whilst I do think the officials should have been more proactive in investigating, I think it was a balanced post to say that if you've spent 7 years officiating with GLT and have believed it to have been correct in over 9000 games then your instinct is going to be to trust it. That was wrong on this occasion but I'm sure all of us have been caught out in the past by something unprecedented occurring that we'd never before accounted for. I'm sure there have been many cases over the past 7 or so years when many of us, including the match officials, have either thought in real time that the ball had crossed the line or that it hadn't, only for the technology to then prove us wrong and give a different decision. It seemed the players also had faith in the system so didn't appeal too strongly when Michael Oliver told them the watch hadn't gone off.

If VARs have never checked goal line decisions as a matter of course then again I think it's kind of understandable why it wouldn't suddenly be done now because you have to see a replay to know that there's a possible issue. If you've never looked at replays for goal line decisions, then you're not going to know there's an issue.

I do think it was embarrassing and as I say I think some officiating teams would have done a better job at getting to the right decision but I can understand why they missed it and think many other officiating teams would have too.
Spot on. There’s been some incredibly tight decisions over the years, so I have absolutely no criticism of the on-field officials. I certainly wouldn’t want to go against the technology in the first game back in 3 months.

Spot on. There’s been some incredibly tight decisions over the years, so I have absolutely no criticism of the on-field officials. I certainly wouldn’t want to go against the technology in the first game back in 3 months.
And hence the row locks they made of it.....at grassroots it would be excusable....top flight of refereeing, inexcusable

Whilst out running a ridiculous thought came into my head.
Am not shy so here goes..

we all know a dive in the box is, simulation, is, attempts to deceive the referee.

Has the Villa gk committed an offence by deceiving the referee?
You might say straight away, but its up to us to spot the balls over the line

its also of course up to us to spot the dive.......

the referee team have been deceived. They thought the gk had the ball the right side of the line....

Whilst out running a ridiculous thought came into my head.
Am not shy so here goes..

we all know a dive in the box is, simulation, is, attempts to deceive the referee.

Has the Villa gk committed an offence by deceiving the referee?
You might say straight away, but its up to us to spot the balls over the line

its also of course up to us to spot the dive.......

the referee team have been deceived. They thought the gk had the ball the right side of the line....

nah, not with you on this at all.

are you penalising every player who appeals for a free kick or throw in etc. even when they know it should be the other way?

nah, not with you on this at all.

are you penalising every player who appeals for a free kick or throw in etc. even when they know it should be the other way?

has the Villa gk actions deceived the referee team?

Btw am no making a judgement, was just throwing something out there

has the Villa gk actions deceived the referee team?

Btw am no making a judgement, was just throwing something out there

you're throwing something out there that is irrelevant though!

of course the GK knows it's a goal, like a player will know which way the disputed throw in should be. part of the game.

you either give the goal or you dont. nothing else matters!

I believe the assumption this is the first failure of GLT is wrong. There have been other admissions from Hawkeye of failure and incorrect results but none of this ilk.

What is an Assistant to do in such a situation? He moves to the halfway line which is a good indicator he's seen a goal but he receives no signal on his watch to confirm what he's seen. For all intents and purposes the ball is still in play and active, he's still got a job to do. Let's assume there's communication between officials but I'd be relying on the technology because that's what I'm taught to do.

If the commentary teams knew a goal had just been scored, I'd expect VAR to detect such a minor tremor

Back