A&H

Villa v Blades

As they’ve just said VAR could have overruled GLT, so wonder why they never happened either

The Referee Store
As they’ve just said VAR could have overruled GLT, so wonder why they never happened either
They just said that his watch went off when he was sat in the dressing room. Bet he had a few choice words when that happened ...

Hard to blame the AR. I wouldn’t like to say ‘that looked in, so ignore GLT’, especially when GLT has never seemed to fail before

exactly right. The GLT has been incredibly reliable up to this point. You’d be very brave to be the one trying to overrule it (even though they would have been right in this case)
I would understand it not being overruled by Oliver and co. But VAR have pretty damning evidence. Now to put my claret and blue glasses back on...

Because keeper fell into the side netting, the ball was physically behind the goalpost, taking away any doubt as to whether it was a goal or not.
Dog & duck, we'd check nets etc, so would they have checked system with a ball before kickoff and more importantly in this case at halftime?

I think the ball has found an area behind the goal line (mostly behind the post) that GLT can't see
Like pilots in an Airbus, the Officials trust the tech 100% (and who wouldn't?) (except Tieney in the van that is)

Given at one point he was pushing the ball onto the back of the post it had to have been over the line. Plus the lack of a goal line decision view like we normally get speaks volumes.

I think the officials may have known it was in, but there isn't really a lot they can do unless they are 110% sure it was over. If they overruled the tech and gave a goal only for it to be proven it hadn't gone in they'd be in serious trouble.

They should be in serious trouble anyway! It seems they've missed a goal even though they're allowed to look at replays.

exactly right. The GLT has been incredibly reliable up to this point. You’d be very brave to be the one trying to overrule it (even though they would have been right in this case)

I get what you're saying but I think some human sensibility has to be applied. I think it would be more acceptable if it was last season pre-VAR and they couldn't monitor replays.

At the very least, I think the officials should have been more proactive in following it up. I think Tierney should have delayed the game whilst he checked replays and maybe had Oliver carry out the pre-game checks again to see if the system was fully operational.

VAR was meant for that moment in time and others like it. Black & White game changers
As usual, the game to be dominated by the same subject of VAR, over and over

I don't blame the on-field crew here. From their angles, they weren't absolutely sure, so they relied on the technology. GLT said no goal.

VAR has to be aware enough that maybe something is up and they should take a look at it. I know you can say, "GLT will pick it up". Well, technology fails sometimes. If VAR is the last line of defense and designed to correct clear and obvious* errors, then you have to be aware enough to see if a replay can clearly show this.

* except for offside decisions . . .

Watch the AR take three or four side steps up the touch line. I think he thought it was a goal. But obviously with GLT, they've been trained not to signal it with a flag.

I don't blame the on-field crew here. From their angles, they weren't absolutely sure, so they relied on the technology. GLT said no goal.

VAR has to be aware enough that maybe something is up and they should take a look at it. I know you can say, "GLT will pick it up". Well, technology fails sometimes. If VAR is the last line of defense and designed to correct clear and obvious* errors, then you have to be aware enough to see if a replay can clearly show this.

* except for offside decisions . . .

So same game last season in the league down.....we be calling it horrendous!
But because a watch never bleeped, its ok?
Not for me.
The actual decision...is the same. In any game.

Based on the image that SF posted it wouldn't have been easy for Stuart Burt to see, certainly not to give him enough confidence to overrule a system that is supposed to be infallible, as Nyland's arm is to the left side of the ball. VAR is a different matter and I'm struggling to see why they didn't get involved given everyone thought it was a problem straight away.

If it is true the watch went off at half time that is an astonishing technology failure. All four officials wear the watches so it can't have been a single watch failure, so that would point to me that the technicians checked it out at half time and once they fixed it that then sent the delayed alert to Oliver's watch (that's a common IT thing in that messages get queued and then sent when service is restored). They are supposed to thoroughly check it all works before the game so if the officials didn't do that they will be in big trouble, if they did and it all worked then it is simply that technology has failed between the checks and 42 minutes of the game.

Back