A&H

Views on this

Chris Smith

Keeping it brief.

So today's game I called for a careless foul, the player that committed the offence came up to me asking for an explanation, I gave him the reason why with the captain involved as he was only 10 yards away, when the player turned his back he said ref you're a f'in joke. So I cautioned him for dissent.

Did I do the correct thing or should he have seen a red?

What would or have you done?

The Referee Store
A caution sounds fair to me, but the use of the f word is deemed to be offensive by many so you could have gone for a red, after all it doesn't have to be offensive to you just offensive or abusive.

Keeping it brief.

So today's game I called for a careless foul, the player that committed the offence came up to me asking for an explanation, I gave him the reason why with the captain involved as he was only 10 yards away, when the player turned his back he said ref you're a f'in joke. So I cautioned him for dissent.

Did I do the correct thing or should he have seen a red?

What would or have you done?
Had a very similar situation early in my refereeing career, gave the guy yellow. Had his manager come up to me at the end of the match, told me he was an assessor (not sure if true or not) and that he'd have marked me down for not giving his player red for saying that.

I think if you want the technically correct answer, (and as a referee with another 2 years under my belt since then) it should have been red. You could argue only yellow if the temper of the match has been excellent and you didn't personally find it very offensive, but when the player uses the F-word directly at you, you need a very good reason to let him stay on the pitch.

It's all about managing the game and the players.

After giving the explanation he has continued on with his protest. It's not exactly offensive, but looks like a trivial case of dissent, so a caution is merited. Don't go looking for trouble by issuing red cards for players making passing statements like this. You set your stall here if you do and the pressure will be on you to take similar action should anyone swear during the rest of the match. You did the right thing by cautioning, and this lets him know and other players that this type of dissent will be dealt with.

Yellow for me even thou you could sent him off for it what I'd say as one has already said it. It's about managing the players

It's about managing the players
Not criticising anybody in particular here, but I think this is a big problem with the sport. There's more responsibility on the referee to 'manage' the players (whatever on earth that means) rather than on the players to act like adults. I think that causes a lot of the problems in the game, and referees are caught being both a victim of and a cause of the problem. You've got somebody who has clearly and deliberately attempted to cause offence to the referee, yet we have to think about 'managing the players' rather than simply addressing his actions, as you would in any other sport.

Personally, I think either card would be fine. The manner in which it was said would be one of the relevant factors.

It's like my game that had on Saturday at the end of the game a player says that I was a joke then which my assistant brought on to me he then ask what he said he then said that all 3 of you are a joke so I just cautioned him for dissent

For me if its a long the lines of " For f-sake ref i won the ball" i will lean towards a strong word and/or yellow. It its at me "you're a f-ing cheat, you're a f-ing disgrace" etc then only the red card is coming out.

It's like my game that had on Saturday at the end of the game a player says that I was a joke then which my assistant brought on to me he then ask what he said he then said that all 3 of you are a joke so I just cautioned him for dissent
No problem at all with just yellow for that.

In the original example though, there's the F-word used directly at the referee, which is unquestionably a red if you're going by the book. My question is therefore "Why be lenient?". What incentive have you got for letting that player stay on?

It's all about managing the game and the players.

After giving the explanation he has continued on with his protest. It's not exactly offensive, but looks like a trivial case of dissent, so a caution is merited. Don't go looking for trouble by issuing red cards for players making passing statements like this. You set your stall here if you do and the pressure will be on you to take similar action should anyone swear during the rest of the match. You did the right thing by cautioning, and this lets him know and other players that this type of dissent will be dealt with.
Thats what was going threw my mind as I reached to my pocket. I was also on my own for this game and a mas conf would have happened if I was to send him off. He got the message and I didn't hear him for the rest of the game after that.

For me, any swearing towards the referee is a card. Whether that is 'You're a F***ing joke/cheat/disgrace etc..." Or 'You're a B****y awful referee'. I think how they say it towards you, whether you find it offensive or not, the extent to what they say and how they have behaved during the match all help to determine whether it is red or yellow. If they are swearing then they have probably been penalised a lot during the game in whcih case the punishment may be bigger. That's my thoughts not put into words well. Don't know if you guys would agree with me or not but norally it is a good way of managing from a refs perspective.

Thats what was going threw my mind as I reached to my pocket. I was also on my own for this game and a mas conf would have happened if I was to send him off. He got the message and I didn't hear him for the rest of the game after that.

Whist I think you were right with the colour of your card, I don't think that the threat of a mass confrontation can be part of your decision making process.

You have to look into the interpretation whether Is he using frustration towards me or is he swearing directly then if his swearing directly then that difference between managing him or me sending him off

You have to look into the interpretation whether Is he using frustration towards me or is he swearing directly then if his swearing directly then that difference between managing him or me sending him off

As vague as ever there Craig!! You have said in one post its a yellow and then in this one inferring its a red??

Right yeah in some instances it can be a talking to a yellow if used in dissent or if in some cases where it's higher than doing those two things then a red it just depends on how it's said and how it's directed

Back