A&H

Views on this, penalty or not

The Referee Store
This would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch so by that logic it should be a penalty.

Yes absolutly. And at least a yellow card for reckless challenge (using his elbow as a tool if not a red for as a weapon ).

I'm not sure and am doubting myself because of that. He's entitled to jump for the ball, his arm is out but then again so is the attacking players arm too, it's just that the defender jumped first.

Yes absolutly. And at least a yellow card for reckless challenge (using his elbow as a tool if not a red for as a weapon ).
Trouble being, all players jump with their elbows in this position (up, out and backward).
Referees judge things based on the outcome (elbow to face, injury etc.)
It's a very difficult job to differentiate between physics and an offence

Last edited:
I'm not sure and am doubting myself because of that. He's entitled to jump for the ball, his arm is out but then again so is the attacking players arm too, it's just that the defender jumped first.

I agree, I'm inclined to agree with the on field referee's decision here given he's got the better view.

Referees judge things based on the outcome (elbow to face, injury etc.)
You are not using the outcome to determine sanction. You are using it to determine the criteria for sanction (was it excessive force, danger to opponent, safety...).

There is a fifa educational video from 2010 world cup I think when a US player (Clint Dempsey i think) was sent off for exactly the OP action.

In any playing action, safety is priority. The onus is on players to ensure all challenges they make are safe. Leading with an elbow when someone else is challenging for an areal ball is clearly not safe.

There are other playing actions that are commonly safe when you are on your own but MUST be avoided when others are involved. For example, a keeper jumping for a catch with a raised knee, bicycle kick or any kick at the ball when the ball is high (especially head high). Controlling the ball with the studs etc.

Last edited:
Sometimes in life you got to make the tough decisions.
This is careless at minimum. I am leaning towards reckless. Penalty and YC in my opinion.
I get what those are saying it is as a result of the players action trying to header the ball but an elbow to the face is not normal football contact nor is it incidental, this for me should be penalised as a foul

Careless and pen for me (AFTER the replays) Can see why no pen given in real time, also possible attacking teammate in the way of ref's view?

After the replays I can see penalty and caution, but that would be incredibly difficult to call real time. Not a red for me though, he hasn't swung an elbow and rather it was just part of the jumping motion.

Back