The Ref Stop

verbally distracting and opponent in the box.

We don’t know the question to Dave though - he could have been asked “is it DOGSO downgrade…” or that might have been implied;)

Tbf, I introduced the “no attempt to play the ball” line in my question, which was as follows:

“Good evening,
I am a referee and have a question about an incident from one of my games, which I hope you can help me with.
The incident was as follows:

An attacker with the ball ran past the goalkeeper to the goal line before cutting the ball back to a teammate two yards from the goal line. As the second player went to roll the ball into the goal a defender behind him shouted "leave it!" This put the player off and he missed the ball completely. The defender then cleared the ball.

Since the shout put the attacker off I stopped play and awarded an indirect free kick on the goal area line. However, I am not sure whether I was right in the action I took against the offending player. He clearly prevented a goal, so I dismissed him for this. The player's action denied an obvious goal and a free kick resulted.
However, a colleague believes I was wrong because no actual offence was committed against the player. The game was stopped to caution him for unsporting behaviour, and a free kick is the resulting restart not a direct result of the player's action.

His offence was more blatant than a trip because he made no attempt whatsoever to play for the ball. My match control was in doubt because the other team were very upset at the player's actions. This made me feel that I was right to dismiss him.

Please can you clarify for me, was I right to send the player off?

Kind regards,
Mark”

The Ref Stop
In terms of DE response, his correct response shouldn't be influenced by your 'incorrect assumptions'. 😄

On that 'assumptions' , I would not call this denying an obvious goal. I would still say DOGSO. We had a recent discussion about numerous players miss an empty goal from 2 yards. DOG is usually used for handballs on the goal line.

About your colleague's comment. The law has been clear for a number of years now. Verbal offences are IFK offences. So yes the IFK is as the direct result of the players's actions.

Screenshot_20241012-125335.jpg

In terms of DE response, his correct response shouldn't be influenced by your 'incorrect assumptions'. 😄

On that 'assumptions' , I would not call this denying an obvious goal. I would still say DOGSO. We had a recent discussion about numerous players miss an empty goal from 2 yards. DOG is usually used for handballs on the goal line.

About your colleague's comment. The law has been clear for a number of years now. Verbal offences are IFK offences. So yes the IFK is as the direct result of the players's actions.

View attachment 7652
100% agree it can only be DOGSO, not DOG

I’d go farther on clarity for a few years. I’d say it has always been clear that verbal offenses were IFKs, except for a couple of years when IFAB messed up that clarity with language about offenses against officials when they were making striking the R a DFK offense and used poor drafting. Until then the Laws were clear that the restart when giving a card on the field was an IFK unless there was another offense that made it a DFK offense.

Back