A&H

VAR stats

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
Interesting assessment below. Fundamentally, I don't like VAR because of what I perceive is the motivation for it...... To look after the 'money men'. Therefore, no surprise to see quite a heavy bias towards the top half of the table in the end-of-season stats (hasten to add, not the R's or VAR's who are bias in anyway, it's the process which has a natural bias of benefiting teams that dominate games). Either way, the top teams (money men) profit from it
Also, as we've discussed before, a heavy inclination for R's to leave Red Cards to VAR... which translates to less dismissals because these incidents will only be overturned to 'Red' when the R has ignored something unmissable

A separate subject, but the proposed changes to the Champions League will also 'look after' the seeded teams. It's such a shame (and a fact of life), that money makes the world go around, but I'm against all of this stuff because it contradicts the ethos of sport IMHO (competitiveness, level playing field, subjectivity, human error etc etc) We'll end up with a handful of megalodon teams (if we're not already there) who can't be touched; ever

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Interesting assessment below. Fundamentally, I don't like VAR because of what I perceive is the motivation for it...... To look after the 'money men'. Therefore, no surprise to see quite a heavy bias towards the top half of the table in the end-of-season stats (hasten to add, not the R's or VAR's who are bias in anyway, it's the process which has a natural bias of benefiting teams that dominate games). Either way, the top teams (money men) profit from it
Also, as we've discussed before, a heavy inclination for R's to leave Red Cards to VAR... which translates to less dismissals because these incidents will only be overturned to 'Red' when the R has ignored something unmissable

A separate subject, but the proposed changes to the Champions League will also 'look after' the seeded teams. It's such a shame (and a fact of life), that money makes the world go around, but I'm against all of this stuff because it contradicts the ethos of sport IMHO (competitiveness, level playing field, subjectivity, human error etc etc) We'll end up with a handful of megalodon teams (if we're not already there) who can't be touched; ever

Interesting I didn't know that VAR atats mattered I thought we only cared about VAR stats can you tell more about why we have started to use them now?

Well not really, as in the top 10 beneficiaries are Southampton (15th), West Ham (7th) Watford (19th), Brentford (13th), Brighton (9th). Not exactly screaming out as benefiting the top teams to me.

Its also the same as the old penalty debate, if you spend most of the game defending, and / or only have 30% of the posession, it goes without saying you are much less likely to have penalty decisions in your own area than the opponents. And the same applies to SFP, the team trying to win the ball are most at risk of committing SFP, not the team that dominate it.

Back