A&H

VAR Grimsby

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
more interesting than the Utd one was the red card in this game, Atkinson actually plays advantage from the tackle, and leaves the injured player on the deck and keeps playing until Palace themselves kick the ball out (so much for their advantage!) before ref gets word in ear to show a red card.
There was certainly scope in this instance for the red carded player to take part in the play again before it was stopped (on a different day) and of course, possibility he in another universe could have committed another red card offence before play stopped
Bit different to the principle of playing on when you know you are sending a player off and he might yet get involved, as in this incident today, ref did not know he was going to be sending the player off until the game went dead
probably wishes now he had simply given the fk at the time. It was 12? yards inside Palaces own half anyway

The Referee Store
I hate how the FA is apparantly telling refs not to use the pitch side monitor. As a ref I'd want to see the video so I can know why I'm sending a player off in the 2nd minute. Also, why can't the FA use the same protocol that every other league and competition in the world is using?

I hate how the FA is apparantly telling refs not to use the pitch side monitor. As a ref I'd want to see the video so I can know why I'm sending a player off in the 2nd minute. Also, why can't the FA use the same protocol that every other league and competition in the world is using?

am so so on that. much same as if say, my AR gets me over to dismiss, am just going to do it (assuming I have not seen it) so, same theory applies with the monitor I think.
if the VAR man is shouting down your ear "red card" then for me all bets are off, its a red card, no need to go view
if var man is saying "that could be a red" then yes, a visit to the monitor is needed?

am so so on that. much same as if say, my AR gets me over to dismiss, am just going to do it (assuming I have not seen it) so, same theory applies with the monitor I think.
if the VAR man is shouting down your ear "red card" then for me all bets are off, its a red card, no need to go view
if var man is saying "that could be a red" then yes, a visit to the monitor is needed?

Same principle as using AR’s in that respect. You miss something, they tell you red, you show red. Why look at the monitor when you have a qualified referee watching replays of video footage. It’s just a waste of everyone’s time

Is it not protocol in the LOTG to use the pitchside monitors?

Here's the appropriate text

"For subjective decisions, e.g. intensity of a foul challenge, interference at offside, handball considerations (position, intent etc.) an ‘on-field review’ (OFR) is often appropriate"

But, instructing referees not to use the monitor goes against how VAR is used everywhere else in the world and I think it will eventually come back to bite the FA. At least in the world cup final the ref saw the video and gave the PK. What if the VAR just said "it's a PK so give it"?

Reactions: JH
Same principle as using AR’s in that respect. You miss something, they tell you red, you show red. Why look at the monitor when you have a qualified referee watching replays of video footage. It’s just a waste of everyone’s time

On this occasion, the ref has seen a foul though, is it a clear obvious error when the ref has seen the foul and (surely) in his head decided to go yellow (at the next stoppage?)

Because as everyone knows, one referee's red card is not another referee's red card. The referee on the pitch still needs to have the final decision, otherwise just get rid of a referee and have someone ref the whole thing through VAR?

Because as everyone knows, one referee's red card is not another referee's red card. The referee on the pitch still needs to have the final decision, otherwise just get rid of a referee and have someone ref the whole thing through VAR?

that's my point on this one, who is to say Atkinson was entirely going to play on then caution when the ball went dead, all of a sudden, he has XX in his ear telling him its a red. Its possible Atkinson is watching it on MOTD tonight still going yellow!!!

Reactions: JH
Again, it just looks so messy - the game has gone on, the yellow comes out first. All the players have moved on - they’re all in position for a throw in on the other side of the field, Atkinson is hanging around on his own. It just looks so uncoordinated

Then why have VAR at all? The referee could look at the footage, deem that in his opinion it’s not red when he’s been told to review it as a potential clear and obvious mistake. In that scenario, we’re basically saying that one qualified referee is wrong. As a team, surely you put your trust in another qualified referee? You may as well have a random bloke sat there saying ‘you might have made a mistake there mate’

Then why have VAR at all? The referee could look at the footage, deem that in his opinion it’s not red when he’s been told to review it as a potential clear and obvious mistake. In that scenario, we’re basically saying that one qualified referee is wrong. As a team, surely you put your trust in another qualified referee? You may as well have a random bloke sat there saying ‘you might have made a mistake there mate’

Reads almost like a chain of superiority though, you would almost have to choose your own VAR as, imagine you are, say, Atkinson yet over the Comms, say, total random name for purpose of the post, Rodger East comes in saying red, but you have seen it and are sure, the element of doubt must be there, and that's dangerous ground to go down. The buck has to start and stop with someone and for better or worse, surely you would need either the ref on the park OR the VAR to give the final say because otherwise yes as you imply, it could be anyone in the truck and other than administering the actual sanction, the on field referee would be defunct.
I would be uncomfortable refereeing, looking right at something, making my own mind up only be fed information from (someone I consider to be a lesser referee and lets not deny we do think that way team ethic or not) that a different decision should be reached and it works in reverse too, be so easy to be influenced by XXXX just cos he was FIFA for 10 years so simply he must know better...

So... in this case, where the contact with studs was just below the knee... what do you think that the chances of VAR calling down and asking something like "That foul you called advantage on, where did you see contact?", and then when the referee (obviously) didn't see the contact on the knee saying, "for your information, contact was studs to knee."

That's not saying "that's red, bin him", that's giving some more needed information, at which point the referee can say "show me video" or "well, that pushes to red, thanks", depending on his comfort level.

Back