A&H

VAR Blunder... Again

In Australia we've found it the other way - if it went to an on-field review, it was guaranteed to be overturned.
Since the VAR is only supposed to send down if he sees clear error, it should be quite rare that OFR doesn't result in a change.
Though it makes me wonder....if it goes to on-field review and the original decision was upheld, then surely either the VAR or the ref was in the wrong?
I think the answer here is "probably." But on anything there are going to be boundary cases where reasonable well trained minds can still differ. Bu they should be outlier cases.

The Referee Store
Since the VAR is only supposed to send down if he sees clear error, it should be quite rare that OFR doesn't result in a change.
I think the answer here is "probably." But on anything there are going to be boundary cases where reasonable well trained minds can still differ. Bu they should be outlier cases.
It SHOULD be rare, yes - except the VAR is gotten it horribly, horribly wrong so many times that the OFR going against VAR should have been quite frequent!

Back