A&H

Urinating in a GK’s drinks bottle!

The Referee Store
I’ve been pondering this - the best answer I could come up with was abandon the game as you can’t guarantee player safety.
Ive nearly got to that point with this one.
Bare minimum is suspending the game and making the home club deal with the spectator issues.

This has to be one of those occasions when the Ref has a sudden onset of blindness such that the piss squirting remains nothing more than an allegation. It demonstrates that Referees value their promotion far more than the 'good of the game'

The "fan" didn't urinate in the keeper's bottle, he urinated an empty identical one then went onto the pitch and swapped it. There's a video on Twitter of his doing it.

I completely sympathise with the keeper, and can't honestly say that I wouldn't react in exactly the same way. Also feel for the referee as he is in an awful position there. The problem he has is he won't just have sprayed it at who switched the bottle, assuming he even knew who that was, I would guess he just sprayed it into the crowd. You'd either have to claim an Arsene Wenger and say you didn't see it or send him off, really don't see any other option.

The idiot doing this got someone to film him and post it on social media, so the police should easily be able to identify him, and that can only be classed as an assault. This is the problem with the wise of social media, people being dared, or daring themselves, to do ridiculous things so that they can trend and become "famous". They need to be made to learn that actions have consequences.

The "fan" didn't urinate in the keeper's bottle, he urinated an empty identical one then went onto the pitch and swapped it. There's a video on Twitter of his doing it.

I completely sympathise with the keeper, and can't honestly say that I wouldn't react in exactly the same way. Also feel for the referee as he is in an awful position there. The problem he has is he won't just have sprayed it at who switched the bottle, assuming he even knew who that was, I would guess he just sprayed it into the crowd. You'd either have to claim an Arsene Wenger and say you didn't see it or send him off, really don't see any other option.

The idiot doing this got someone to film him and post it on social media, so the police should easily be able to identify him, and that can only be classed as an assault. This is the problem with the wise of social media, people being dared, or daring themselves, to do ridiculous things so that they can trend and become "famous". They need to be made to learn that actions have consequences.
Thanks for providing this additional info but it sounds much more serious than an assault to me.

Thanks for providing this additional info but it sounds much more serious than an assault to me.
It’s absolutely disgusting we can all agree but it’s not even close to being assaulted. Punched in the face or take a swig of something disgusting.

Not sure how you’re going to get away with abandoning the game on player safety grounds. It’s one incident that’s been dealt with, so where is the danger after that. Haven’t seen the incident on video of keepers reaction, one says squirted fans, the other says threw bottle away. Ref doesn’t know what’s in bottle and if he sees keeper squirting a bottle at fans, then he’s got no choice 🟥..

Not sure how you’re going to get away with abandoning the game on player safety grounds. It’s one incident that’s been dealt with, so where is the danger after that. Haven’t seen the incident on video of keepers reaction, one says squirted fans, the other says threw bottle away. Ref doesn’t know what’s in bottle and if he sees keeper squirting a bottle at fans, then he’s got no choice 🟥..
"Dealt with" how?

A player has been sent off as a result of fan actions, so you have one significantly aggravated team (as emphasised by the two further red cards in the game). And I've seen no indication that the fans who did this were sent away - and even if someone was kicked out, how confident can you be that the stewards got the right people?

This seems like almost the dictionary definition of "not fully dealt with" to me!

It’s absolutely disgusting we can all agree but it’s not even close to being assaulted. Punched in the face or take a swig of something disgusting.
Hi mate. I respect your point of view but in the UK, this is absolutely more serious than an assault - if prosecuted, the accused would be tried in the Crown Court whereas common assaults are heard only in the lower Magistrates Court. If convicted, the accused can be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison; the maximum sentence for common assault is only 6 months. Hope this clears things up for you.

"Dealt with" how?

A player has been sent off as a result of fan actions, so you have one significantly aggravated team (as emphasised by the two further red cards in the game). And I've seen no indication that the fans who did this were sent away - and even if someone was kicked out, how confident can you be that the stewards got the right people?

This seems like almost the dictionary definition of "not fully dealt with" to me!T

On the pitch actions where dealt with by the ref. Any fines or investigations by FA have nothing to do with the ref. Dealt with In respect the player was sent off for his actions. so how could you then justify abandoning game due to safety of other players as It was one isolated incident. And what’s an aggrieved team got to do with it. All teams are aggrieved when a red card is shown.

Sorry, but you've got that wrong. As @Mr Dean has alluded to, it almost certainly would be considered assault under English law.

See info on the link below.

Offences against the person

Included in the definition of assault is:

Administering poison or noxious thing with intent to injure, aggrieve or annoy ...

Punching someone or using actual physical violence is known under the law as battery (which is also assault, just a different category).

Back