A&H

unusual scenario

If the action that caused the player to commit an offside offence was the handling, then if the flag was raised prior to that happening it was an incorrect flag. The AR should only flag when the offence is committed.
If it is a handball that commits the offside offence it's a DFK.
The only time a flag before would be acceptable is if there was an interfering with an opponent infraction.
We can assume it was an incorrect flag as the OP states the handling of the ball was the offside offence
Ah, I read it as the flag went up for the player that it had gone over, not the one who handled it.

The Referee Store
If the action that caused the player to commit an offside offence was the handling, then if the flag was raised prior to that happening it was an incorrect flag. The AR should only flag when the offence is committed.
If it is a handball that commits the offside offence it's a DFK.
The only time a flag before would be acceptable is if there was an interfering with an opponent infraction.
We can assume it was an incorrect flag as the OP states the handling of the ball was the offside offence
I don’t think lt’s fair to describe an AR’s flag as incorrect or not. It’s up to the referee to wave it down, accept it and/or sell it.

In this case, I think a smart ref can sell either IDFK or DFK YC. In either case (without comms) I think the AR has to stick the flag up based on the OP.

I don’t think lt’s fair to describe an AR’s flag as incorrect or not. It’s up to the referee to wave it down, accept it and/or sell it.

In this case, I think a smart ref can sell either IDFK or DFK YC. In either case (without comms) I think the AR has to stick the flag up based on the OP.
You've missed my point I think.
Totally agree, at the point the player uses his hand the signal must be given by the AR. But in the OP he has signalled before the player has touched it, thus making it an incorrect signal as up until the touch no offside offence (or handball obvs) has occurred.
Maybe I am using the wrong word... An early flag that risked being incorrect is probably better phrase.

Last edited:
At the risk of stating the obvious, for all ARs, the biggest general point to take out of this scenario is only to flag when the offside offence has actually occurred. It's very easy to flag too quickly, being (overly) confident that an offence will occur and (especially at lower levels and even more especially with CARs) the majority of incorrect flags stem from this approach. It's why focussing on getting exactly the right spot for the offside offence is a helpful technique ... it forces the discipline of only flagging once the infringement occurs.

So, in this scenario, as @JamesL and others have said, the offence only occurs when the handball happens and therefore a DFK / YC is correct (as well as being completely in keeping with the spirit of the game)

Seems to me that this scenario, as presented is pretty easy as DFK/YC for reasons @JamesL and others have set out

We could make it more challenging by taking out the other attacker, raising the question of whether per diagram 4 the OS should be penalized before the HB arises . . .

Seems to me that this scenario, as presented is pretty easy as DFK/YC for reasons @JamesL and others have set out

We could make it more challenging by taking out the other attacker, raising the question of whether per diagram 4 the OS should be penalized before the HB arises . . .
That would certainly make it more challenging ... and also more optional! Because the wording in this area is 'may be penalised' rather than "must" it becomes a subjective call. In the scenario outlined, I'd still most likely be waiting until the attacker actually played the ball. Would be easy for him to instead choose to duck under the ball and then the left winger / wing back might be able to run onto it. However, if there was a risk of injury in keeping the flag down (eg a collision with the GK), then that might lean me instead towards a 'safety first' approach.

Back